Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Gopro Hero 4 Silver (or black)

garethmob

Hello Guys

Iv been looking at these cameras for a while,  mainly for my landrover Disco if i go offroad on byways and as well for use as a cabcam (yes i know there are cheaper ones etc) but i noticed the hero 4's have a timelapse feature thats specifically marketed at low light shots of the milky way. well i went to cardiff today and every single shop i went into were sold out, so i was wondering if any one had used them for astro purposes.

i was thinking of meteor showers, etc they might be perfect for. i did a search on here and i could only find one video so any more out there!!

here you go allen

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/231978-geminids-2014-timelapse-4k-resolution/?hl=%2Bgopro#entry2508581 [it appears i miss read the post and my search brought it up as some one said gopro 4  DOH  :icon_pale:

o well lol  

its not the most obvious camera in the world to use for astro i'll be fair, i was going to get the sony as100vr as its in john lewis now for £180 but that astro feature i think might be worth splashing out.   but theres hardly any other person who has used it for it even though its actually a marketed feature.......

one thing which i was considering is as you can charge the gopro via 12v (i think from what a mate with a silver 3 said) is plugging it into my powerpack and having it in the frame mount, would this work? as in effect it can be on charge when running then

I bought the 3+ to helmet cam desert riding, guess I should have waited...

Snap. Whenever I get something a new model is always released with extra features I would have wanted......

Still, I have been meaning to try mine at night, done several daytime time lapses. I've also been meaning to make an egg timer panning head for it :)

The biggest difference between the Black and the Silver is, the silver comes with the touch screen on the back and the black does not.  There are also few differences in resolution options but at the lower end of the spektrum.  However the Black does film at a higher frame rate at 4K than the silver giving a more cinematic effect and also allowing you to do some pretty awesome slow-mo shots.

They both have the same night time capability though, for the price difference I would be opting for the Silver, I personally own the 3+ only becuase I got a great Black Friday deal on it.

Not sure if you have bought one already but hope this helps, which ever one you buy you will NOT be dissapointed, I'm certainly not with the 3+

Don't think anything lower than the 4 can change the exposure time? I've got the 3+ black and I carry it everywhere with me, me and my partner are going to Rome and Barcelona in March/April and it will be there with us. It's a great camera.

I think I might have to have a look at getting the 4.

Rob.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well i actually bought it today (well i say bought, paid for in john lewis, picking it up tomorrow)  so guarenteed its going to be raining and cloudy for the next month in the sunny south wales valleys :(   sorry guys! :(

Hello guys

Well i tested it out tonight.  sadly the cloud rolled in.... and after i packed up rolled back out again.   sadly im awaiting my £3 gopro frame mount on ebay so i can plug it into my jumper pack, so was limited by battery tonight.  as the main screen is on a device like an iphone it did drain battery pretty quick. i think i might get everything set up via the app and then turn wifi off in the future.

any way!   heres a few photos.   bare in mind its smaller than a tin of coke.    and its main purpose in life is an action video camera for sports like surfing and mountain biking down a cliff etc.

so the camera is F2.8 fixed with 170 degree (its slightly fish eye but dont bother me)       this first photo was everything default.  so WB 5500k,   30 seconds.  protune (the RAW feature) was turned off.  colour was set to "gopro" (what ever that is)  also all photos are 12mp  4000 X 3000 ISO 800

i also want you to bare in mind.   the camera was not fixed on my astrotrac, it was stationary sat on its mount and losely placed / balanced on the top of the giant meade LX90 tripod as its tripod mount (wasnt paying £40 for the gopro one so £3 on ebay for a tripod mount) hasnt arrived yet. it was also pitch black in the first photo bar the caravan lights in front and there was a light behind but i tried to sheild that.  and when i say pitch black i mean you can see the milky way clearly pitch black

post-9175-0-73851600-1420574484_thumb.jp

This next image i moved the camera to be sheilded better into the apex of the two units and pointed it straight up.   i also changed the settings a little. so protune was on (RAW image) WB 3600, iso 800 and colour was changed to "flat" so no added colour this time

post-9175-0-72749000-1420574544_thumb.jp

and finially as the clouds were coming in heres the final best pic of the lot.   protune on.  30 seconds.  iso 800. colour flat,  WB (natural so its flat equivlent) 

post-9175-0-32933200-1420574587_thumb.jp

soooo for a first go without any clue and pretty "dirty" images which havent been edited,   what do you think?

i havent had a chance to try any software to be honest, really want to get final cut on here but its on my mates computer and i keep missing him :( i have all my astro software on my windows laptop but havent gotten around to trying it.   but for a non edited photo thats pretty good.   ]

the tripod adapter and frame came today :) WOOOOOOO  so going to try them all out on the next night.

any one else given it ago?

Archived