NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Last Christmas pressy has arrived

Stu

One thing is certain with this atlas I won't spend ages looking for a galaxy that is beyond my scopes abilities because it's mag 14 like on some I have  :laugh:  I think also it will be useful in determining what the sky conditions are like as it seems like a lot of work has been done in categorising the targets visibility in the different scopes.  So if I can't see something that is on there chances are the sky is not good enough. I will be interesting to see how that correlates.  

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Stu thanks for showing the photos of the book. Before I make the following comments I would say that I am badly coloured blind so I maybe talking rubbish  :sad:

If I look at your first photo - it shows Reflection Nebs as 'blue'. If I then look at your 3rd photo NGC2024 (Flame Neb) it appears as the same colour blue. I thought NGC2024 was an Emission Neb. Am I reading this incorrectly?

I note that IC434 needs a H beta filter and should be visible in an 8" scope - am I reading the colours correctly?

The atlas does look great so thanks for sharing the photos.

Stu thanks for showing the photos of the book. Before I make the following comments I would say that I am badly coloured blind so I maybe talking rubbish :sad:

If I look at your first photo - it shows Reflection Nebs as 'blue'. If I then look at your 3rd photo NGC2024 (Flame Neb) it appears as the same colour blue. I thought NGC2024 was an Emission Neb. Am I reading this incorrectly?

I note that IC434 needs a H beta filter and should be visible in an 8" scope - am I reading the colours correctly?

The atlas does look great so thanks for sharing the photos.

Hi Mark,

I'm afraid I can't blame your colour blindness for that. You are correct, this does seem to be an error on the Flame nebula which is annoying. I may pop an email to the publishers to ask for their comments.

Again, you are correct about the visibility shown for IC434. I am less bothered about this as I believe the charts are built around an assumption of mag 6.5 skies, and probably quite US centric in terms of conditions. I think it will be a case of calibrating their visibility scales to my sky conditions so I can get to understand what should be visible to me.

I have heard of the Horsehead being seen in an 8" scope under very good skies so I think this is probably correct.

Cheers,

Stu

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for that feedback. I know that generally NGC 2024 is defined an Emission Neb although in some quarters they indicate both Reflection and Emission because Alnitak shines through the Neb.

Yes, I had read that too but I think emission would be more correct, as you suggested

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can you believe it I thought to myself, Stu is right lets spend some money elsewhere and buy an atlas. Went to Amazon UK and there it was 125.99 less than Stu paid :grin: :grin: :grin: , a must have bargain!

Picked the item and through to check out, total 161, 50, What :eek: !!!, Post 9 pounds odd, atlas 151.99, how do they get away with that, 25 pounds more than advertised. :mad: :mad: :mad: .

Penny has just dropped it will be VAT, I have only every taken childrens toys beforehand and I imagine they are VAT exempt.

Alan.

• 2 weeks later...

Just to let you all know I ordered and now received my copy of the Desk Version as Stu did not print enough pages to download from here. Whilst expensive I have to say it is a lovely atlas full of superbly layed out information and in my books worth the cost. The 71 pounds though is the most expensive book I have ever bought, if you can afford one, it will contribute to happy evening at the scope and I would say buy one.

Alan

Archived