NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Bright eyepiece(?)

Hi guys,

I've bought a Meade 5000 24mm and I simply love it! I need to go for a 10-15mm and id like to keep the brightness the 24mm gives me! Do ANY of you own a 10-15mm of the 5000 séries?

If not what is the Technical term to look for??

I'm on a 130/650 newt!

Thanks!

Second go at this - PC reset itself ?

Brightness is a bit ambiguous a term, and as Peter says if you increase the magnification then the brightness decreases.

However brightness can be a case of sharpness and contrast, so something simply stands out better against the background.

Will say the people do say the Meade 5000 series are generally good and rated highly.

You can also search for references to the Meade 5000 series as it is likely they exist under other names - try the ES range as ES and Meade use to work closly together.

If you get a 10-15mm and find it does not match the 24mm you could try a TV plossl at 11mm. You will lose field of view but they are also known for their clarity and sharpness. It unfortunately means buying one to find out.

Going to hit Post before the PC attempts to do something stupid.

Living in Las Vegas, I'll double-down on the advice above. :rolleyes:

As magnification increases, surface brightness decreases... regardless of EP brand or type.

At a focal ratio of f/5, around 10mm will give you a perfect combination of increased magnification with enough surface brightness to be a "happy camper".

I suggest the ES 82o 11mm eyepiece.

Clear, Dark Skies

Maybe Herbig means the Maxvision eyepieces. They're good.

The exit pupil size of an eyepiece determines its brightness. You calculate the exit pupil by dividing the focal length of the eyepiece by the focal ratio of the telescope. For instance: A 24mm eyepiece on an F/4.5 telescope has an exit pupil of 24 / 4.5 = 5.3 mm.
When the exit pupil becomes as big as your  own pupil, image brightness reaches a maximum. Recommended exit pupils for astronomy are from 0.5 mm to about 5 mm (some say from 1 mm to 5mm).

Maybe Herbig means the Maxvision eyepieces. They're good.

The exit pupil size of an eyepiece determines its brightness. You calculate the exit pupil by dividing the focal length of the eyepiece by the focal ratio of the telescope. For instance: A 24mm eyepiece on an F/4.5 telescope has an exit pupil of 24 / 4.5 = 5.3 mm.
When the exit pupil becomes as big as your  own pupil, image brightness reaches a maximum. Recommended exit pupils for astronomy are from 0.5 mm to about 5 mm (some say from 1 mm to 5mm).

And if you are young with good eyesight then your exit pupil can be as large as 7mm....sadly those days are long gone for me.

I wasn't sure of the name of the clone types but have seen what look like very similar ones for sale. I cannot vouch for the quality of them but wouldn't mind betting they are made in the same Chineese factory. Just as a ps to my last post, the ones I have are 6.7, 8.8, 14 UWA and 24 and 34mm SWA's.

I also have a Baader Hyperion Clickstop Zoom 8-24mm which is also very good and more versatile but with a zoom there are always compromises in terms of fov and aberrations, not that many people would notice though.

post-11141-0-30780800-1419582013_thumb.j

Nice range of focal lengths, Herbig. The last batch of the SWAs (and a couple of UWAs) was never branded Meade because Meade fell out with JOC, the manufacturer.

JOC rebranded teh eyepieces Maxvision and dumped them for about a third of the Meade price on the European market. I believe that of the UWAs only the 24mm remains. The SWAs look like this:

post-38669-0-48168800-1413471549_thumb.g

They're fine eyepieces and a real bargain.

Archived