Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

All Sky Camera

Gina

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With everything put together and the shutter drive working, I found I've got things the wrong way round for my shutter design :(  So I'll have to redesign the shutter - not a big problem :D

Here's a screenshot of the SketchUp model of the solenoid and shutter drive mechanism 3D printed parts.  The lever that's operated by the solenoid has a projection on the side of the boss to take an extension coil spring to pull the shutter into the closed position (with Baader film to reduce the sunlight to a safe intensity and allow daytime imaging).

post-13131-0-82938000-1419192539_thumb.j

I have a Minitron mono camera that I was thinking of rigging up for meteor watch but could leave set up permanently it has AGC  which is annoying when trying to image the Sun as it refuses to let me over expose anything, wonder if it would be OK to point directly at the Sun, would it just dim itself ?

Dave

I have a Minitron mono camera that I was thinking of rigging up for meteor watch but could leave set up permanently it has AGC  which is annoying when trying to image the Sun as it refuses to let me over expose anything, wonder if it would be OK to point directly at the Sun, would it just dim itself ?

Dave

Probably but there is still a danger of the focussed sun burning the image sensor and causing permanent damage.  This is not bound to happen and there are some sensors that are supposed to be able to cope with the full intensity focussed sun light without sustaining damage.  The ZWO MSI120MC and MSI120MM cameras are supposed to be "sun safe".

As for auto brightness function, I tried this with the QHY5 and PHD2 but it was a total failure in daylight.  Whenever the sun was in the frame it shut the exposure right down and only a bright point appeared in the image.  When the sun wasn't present it just racked the exposure up until everything suffered whiteout :(  For nighttime imaging it needed the exposure time set to the maximum of 15s anyway.

Here is the proposed method of reducing the holding current for the solenoid.  When off, the electrolytic capacitor is charged up to the full 13.8v.  Then when the power MOSFET is switched on the full 13.8v is applied to the solenoid, gradually decreasing as charge is taken out of the capacitor until the current supplied through the 100 ohm resistor causes the capacitor voltage to stabilise at a much lower value.

For this to work the gradually decreasing daylight and and hence current in the light dependent resistors has to be read by a switching (Schmitt trigger) circuit so that the switch on of the solenoid is virtually instantaneous.

post-13131-0-65379200-1419196949.jpg

Next I need to decide how to implement a Schmitt trigger circuit.  This could be with an op amp chip or with discrete components.  Have to see what bits I've got :D  Not short of power MOSFETs - IRFZ44N type as I used for controlling Peltier TECs and dew heaters etc.

A little before midnight this is what our Robotic Allsky is showing;

ALLSKY-L.jpg

Now check out that point of reddish light pollution just a tad north of east on the horizon. OK, let's not get excited about it because it isn't going to affect us - but there is an irony attached to it. It comes from the village of Lagrand which is the home village of none other than Roger Bonnet, former director of the European Space Agency. (Name dropper, me? Never!  :grin: ) Hehheh, but it's true.

I'll keep this screen grab because tonight a certain mad Irishman and I completed a four year run on our present project. He pulled out the Champagne, in fact, but now we are at it again on the Ha. No rest for the wicked. We're all mad...

Olly

And one of said robotic scopes bagged 11 hours of data  of undisclosed objects under that sky  :)

A bit after midnight we passed the "light meridian" and are now headed towards shorter nights :(. We had clear skies until 22:30 up here too so I got over 6 hours of data from the balcony - until 22:30 ;) First reasonably usable images rolled in at about 16:00 from the CCD Autopilot controlled balcony obs. This is after a record November with 5 HOURS of sunshine total in the Stockholm area - obviously with clear night hours in the same numbers.

Sorry for the off topic... Gina, you should use a small stepper instead. Grab one out of a broken ink-jet printer :) Schmitt triggers are nowadays available in single device small three pin packages! No need to play with analog stuff...

/per

Sorry for the off topic... Gina, you should use a small stepper instead. Grab one out of a broken ink-jet printer :) Schmitt triggers are nowadays available in single device small three pin packages! No need to play with analog stuff...

/per

No problem Per :)  Not really off topic anyway :D

I did think of using a small stepper motor but the only ones I have ATM have built-in gearboxes so no fail-safe facility.  I'll probably have another look at my recycling stuff when I'm better.  Not just broken printers but also VCRs, floppy drives, CD drives etc.  However, a stepper needs more electronics than a solenoid :D  OTOH the mechanics are certainly easier and probably better.

I did wonder if Schmitt trigger devices were available as a simple single package but a Google search didn't find any :(  I do know that the 555 chip has a Schmitt input but not sure if that's any easier than an op amp and 3 resistors.

There are a number of these opto detectors with a digital output that might replace the LDRs and Schmitt trigger eg. this one

EDIT - Oh no itisn't! datasheet

Hmm...  need a different search phrase I think.  Just coming up with IR detector devices that output a modulated carrier wave signal :eek:

Dratted seasrch engines get on my nerves at times :mad::BangHead:

Getting bogged down here :(  Maybe it's time to move on to another project :grin:

AAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Oh dear - looks like this project has ground to a halt until I can get/find some bits :(  I have ordered some op amps TL071 TI JFET OP AMP DIP-8 IC's TL071CP Texas Instruments which will take a few days to arrive and which should enable me to do something later.  Not really ideal but unless I can find something in my boxes that will just have to do.

I'm sure there ought to be light detectors that have a digital output but I'm darned if I can find any :(

I'm sure there ought to be light detectors that have a digital output but I'm darned if I can find any :(

An LDR fed by a pre-set pot wired to the input of a 4093 Scmitt trigger logic gate should do the trick. Though in practice, you'd probably want some hysteresis in the detector output. So I guess you'd be looking at 2 LDRs scmitts and presets - one for the "on" threshold and another one for "off". Feed them into an S-R latch to trigger your actions.

Made up a test rig to check that the pulse solenoid idea works.  Found a 68 ohm 10W resistor (didn't have 100 ohms at 2W), 4700 microfarad capacitor and push button switch.  Connected to a 13.8v supply.  It works fine - pressing and holding the push button caused the solenoid to pull in and hold.  The holding current was 180mA.  Releasing the PB released the solenoid (of course :D).   Initially I tried a 1000 microfarad capacitor but that wasn't sufficient.

post-13131-0-61052800-1419268286_thumb.j

No problem Per :)  Not really off topic anyway :D

I did think of using a small stepper motor but the only ones I have ATM have built-in gearboxes so no fail-safe facility.  I'll probably have another look at my recycling stuff when I'm better.  Not just broken printers but also VCRs, floppy drives, CD drives etc.  However, a stepper needs more electronics than a solenoid :D  OTOH the mechanics are certainly easier and probably better.

I did wonder if Schmitt trigger devices were available as a simple single package but a Google search didn't find any :(  I do know that the 555 chip has a Schmitt input but not sure if that's any easier than an op amp and 3 resistors.

http://www.mouser.com/ds/2/115/74LVC1G17-80223.pdf

This is the one I use for reset delay in my arduino compatible projects.

It's €0.24 in single quantities ;)

/per

Archived