Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Jupitors rings come through and the moon filled the ep. Streaks across the sky topped it off.

Steve55

After some realignmemnt of the mirrors we where out looking at jupitor again tonight and it did not let us down, took a little time for us to get our eye in as the rings seem to come and go but they finally  popped up nice and  we think  clear. Using the Hyperion clickstop ep makes sucha difference just being able to alter it so eassily made for much better viewing getting the right magnification and focus without using different ep's . No filters used this time just happy to see it has is and enjoy the moment as they say.

The moon was next whch rose a little later, caught it early on ass it came up, i do like the colour as it rises . This was far better than the last time, then i used the ep's that came with the telescope. This time we filled the viewer with , well for us seemed to be a crystal clear image of it, craters where fantastic with shadows and ridges , also what looked like the rivers on the surface too . Put the x2 Barlow in but that was not a success at all , probably because  my nose was getting blumming cold and i wanted to get a hot chocolate.

A good night tonight and of course later the shower was great , some nice streaks across the sky.  There are i know better times to look at these things Jupitor and Moon but we where very happy about what we saw even if not in what is said to be ideal positions , things will get even better for sure.

Started off clear here, cloud came and went and then after midnight arrived in force. We caught sporadic very bright Geminids . The sky between the clouds was nicely dark. M34 through the 10" Dob was jugs packed with stars.

Waiting for the show, I managed the three Auriga clusters in the same fov of a pair of 8x30 bird watchers !

Sounds like you have a splendid night, Jupiter is just beautiful ,

Nick.

Great report, and you might not have been aware but you had a lot of company out there last night! I had an early session so missed out on Jupiter as my scope was dewed and iced by 10pm. You've picked a good time for the moon as the shadows cast around the terminator are super cool. The Geminids were like popping fireworks overhead as I busied myself with various observations. There was a great meteor that looked like an airliner with two brief contrails at 10:20. It was a good show!

Nice report, good to hear you are getting some good use out of your scope.

The rings as you described them are equatorial cloud belts, they do come and go as the seeing permits. The more you observe an object, the better you chances of catching some decent views are.

As for the Barlow, sometimes less power really does give far sharper images.

Love looking at the moon, nothing better than looking along the terminator as the craters are far better defined here.

We where actually more than happy with the views in the first Instance on all counts, the Barlow was more for me and a bit of experimentation . You can read articles and watch a video or two on You Tube for idea's , but in the end a great way to learn what your equipment is capable of  is to actually just try something and see if it works for you or not. Nothing to lose and everything to gain and of it's goood fun init :smiley: .

We where actually more than happy with the views in the first Instance on all counts, the Barlow was more for me and a bit of experimentation . You can read articles and watch a video or two on You Tube for idea's , but in the end a great way to learn what your equipment is capable of  is to actually just try something and see if it works for you or not. Nothing to lose and everything to gain and of it's goood fun init :smiley: .

Exactly, try things and see how it pans out.

Good to hear you had a good time.

Archived