Can't seem to see any detail

Last night I spent my first night with my telescope and set of binos. I started off with viewing Jupiter now because I bought a refractor I thought the detail of the planet would be unbelievable but when I zeroed in and put in the Barlow with a 10nm eyepiece all I saw was a big ball of light... So after this annoyance I stared at the moon for a while which was in incredible detail. Then moved on to the Orion m42 nebula all I saw of this was a few white dots but nothing good could of been looking at the wrong time of year but oh well. But what shall I try and view with my scope? I can't seem to see anything in detail apart from the moon.. My scope is a skywatcher 90mm so quality should be out of the question any advice?

What is the scope, what time and where was Jupiter and where are you.

Was there any cloud/mist around, althought bright that does not mean a sharp target.

Generally the 10mm eyepiece and the barlow are poor individually and as a combination a waste of time. Gets difficult as many say get used to the scope with the supplied items, I tend to go along the lines of go buy a few decent eyepieces and forget the supplied eyepieces.

If 90/900 like the Evostar then try an 8mm, maybe just a 10mm.

The supplied one will be an inexpensive MA (Modified achromat).

I say the 8mm as the best I have seen Saturn was through a TAL 100 (I think) with an 8mm eyepiece(about 125x) and it was sharp and clear. You do not need as much for Jupiter so 90x to 100x should be fine. I have seen bands at a lot less, and seen nothing worth mentioning on a bigger and better scope under identical conditions. So dropping down to 60x may be a consideration.

At 1:30 Jupiter should have been high enough, asked as occasionally you find that Jupiter had just crept into sight and had a scope pointed at it when very low. The East Midlands would have been similar to here and I am not sure how clear it was last night - didn't stick my head out the door to look, too cold. Tonight is supposed to be the good one.

Anyone you can borrow a 10mm plossl from? Or better. :eek:

I'll assume your scope is the evostar (?) so you've a focal length of 900mm so a 10mm e.p. + a 2X barlow will be right on the limit with descent seeing. This however only holds true if the quality of both pieces is acceptable. Sadly skywatcher stuff if very hit and miss and it's probably unlikely you have both a good barlow and a good eyepiece. better equiptment is always going to give better results but money can hold us back. For now, I'd try just the 10mm or the 25mm+barlow and see witch is best. Don't expect Jupiter to fill your view. it's a long way away and takes time and patience to tease out the detail. Damn frustrating isn't it? :D

Good luck and stick with it. Also, if you know of anyone with more experience or a group you can attend then its always a great help

Jimsta, when you say 'zeroed in' what do you mean by this?  Note that when you turn the focuser wheels it is just a focuser, and not a 'zoom'.  The job of the focuser is to just get the right focus, if you don't you just get a blurred white smudge.

Jimsta, when you say 'zeroed in' what do you mean by this?  Note that when you turn the focuser wheels it is just a focuser, and not a 'zoom'.  The job of the focuser is to just get the right focus, if you don't you just get a blurred white smudge.

Sorry what i should of said is aligned the scope.

If you download Stellarium you can set it up for your location and also set parameters for your scope and then you can get some idea of the size and detail that you may be able to see, given ideal conditions.  If the scope was covered with dew then you certainly won't see much.

You can try gently using a hair dryer to clear dew. It'll hold it for a while. Ensure that you're safe with an Rcd outside. Keep your eps warm , a clean trouser pocket is ideal.

I usually take the aperture in mm, multiply by 1.3 to give your best views. This gives you x117, using a 900mm ota will mean a 7.5. You should have no trouble seeing fine details at higher magnification than this, providing the seeing (stability) and the transparency are there.

You might also find it handy to remove some of the glare by using a Moon or coloured filter. Often high thin haze will improve your view, hurrah !

A frac will be most kind on decent reasonably priced eps. Kellners , especially the older ones are ace.

If you can find a local club or put a thread on for anyone in the area,

You'll learn more there than any books or scratching around in the dark on your own !

Nick.

..... my scope got covered in dew .................

Is it possible that the front glass got covered in dew too, I wonder.  That would certainly have messed up the view.

Do you have a dew-shield and/or dew-heater?

Dew can ruin the evening. A dew shield made from a tube of something nonheavy like a camping matt and Velcro will delay the onset on dew, but a heater will keep it at bay. Meeting up with others is a great idea. They'll get to the bottom of any problems in no time.

Archived