Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Geminids and stuff.

Paul M

We're up in Cumbria at our caravan and not only is it rather chilly but it's clear too so I just had an hour outside with the bins :)

While waiting for my eyes to dark adapt I was already spotting some nice Geminids. The peak is due overnight Saturday/Sunday but it's a broad peak so night either way is usually promising.

I eventually lost count. The most fruitful area being a broad wedge of sky from Orion to the zenith and beyond to the southern and western horizon. I've often got good results by standing with my back to the radiant and looking overhead. That way the long path meteors don't get missed. They are often some of the best too.

I did't see any strikingly bright meteors but I saw my first ever binocular meteor! I was having a go at finding M1 with the 10 x 50's, which I recall doing successfully in the past. I don't think I convincingly identified it but a faint meteor swept through the field of view.

Other targets tonight were M33 and M31.

It's about a year since I eventually spotted M33 after many years of trying with bins and telescopes. With this lovely dark sky I have here it's now an easy object. Difficult to miss but visually very inferior to M31 which just about fills the binocular field.

Just time before bed to go and look for some more meteor. Jolly cold it is too.

I'm out observing tomorrow with our society telescope. Weather looks promisingly clear, but in Bristol we don't get the dark sky you must be enjoying. I hope I have some luck like you and get to see some Geminids! You are brave camping in this weather.

I saw quite a few. Did it properly with two long garden chair cushions and blankets. Problem was, kept dozing off! Terrible, getting older....

Still nice to get a few as tomorrow is forecast cloudy. Mostly saw them in the Orion area. Fairly happy

Barry

Woken to a glorious clear sky this morning. It was already a bright dawn when I let the dog out and had a look at the sky.

Jupiter and the Moon looked frozen to the deep blue sky. Not surprised, the curtains are frozen to the windows this morning and I've had to thaw the regulator on the gas bottle before getting the heating going . Can't wait till we get in our new Fully Winterised caravan. Next week maybe...

Anyway, Matt Taylor was talking about the Gemininds during the weather forecast this morning. Always nice to see these things discussed intelligently.  

Unfortunately, his forecast isn't conducive to stargazing. Snow showers this afternoon and cloudy tonight.

Very glad I made the effort last night. The Geminids are and always have been my favorite meteor shower :)

I wasn't planning on being up and about so early this morning as I'm recovering from working night shifts on Wednesday and Thursday but glorious mornings like this are all too rare to want to sleep trough it :)

Archived