NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Advice on Scope #2

When I bought my setup a couple months ago there was some time/decision overlap and I ended up with two similar fracs, the FSQ-106 and an SV90. This left the SV as a guidescope at best which didn't make sense. I posted on Astromart to trade/sell. It sold so fast, I should've asked more. Anyways I'm seeking a second scope which would nicely compliment the Tak so I was thinking an 8-10SCT OTA. My mount will handle the weight just fine. Any thoughts or feedback would be so appreciated!!! I'm looking mostly in second hand market as I have only $1400-$1500 to spend. I was considering others like DK scopes and RC they seem outta reach price wise. Another thought was using the money to upgrade the focuser for my TAK, just a thought. Also at OTP they currently have a slightly used 10in LX200 OTA which might be a choice.

Thank you!

Nate

It would give me views I can't get, mostly planetary, from my frac. It'll be used visually but I'd be shocked if in time I wouldn't have it imaging... But no guide scope use at all.

"I was thinking an 8-10SCT OTA. My mount will handle the weight just fine". Are you planning on using this as a guide scope or for visual only???

Ian

Ignoring the capabilities of the mount how easily will you managed the scope?

Fitting an SCT on a mount is not overly easy, I can carry an 8" Meade but getting the thing on to the pillar and located then tightened up requires 2nd person.

Getting a 14" on is a 2 person carry job and then another to pass instructions on getting it into place and tightening up the first bolt.

If you want a planetary scope then a C9.25 is the one to go for. Type C925 in to Google and look at the images ;)

Easy to manage too. It has a nice carry handle on the back and is very light. Even with my slipped disc I can lift it up to the mount, hold it with one hand and tighten the clamp with the other.

I sold my 250 Newt to get the C925. Once you've lifted a 250 tube a few times and struggled to mount it, you'll realise just how big they are. Plus without some kind of tube rotation the eyepiece gets in awkward positions.

If you are looking at an SCT, then the Edge HD scopes are the ones to go for in your position, as they can be easily used for imaging, especially with the dedicated reducer, and are marvellous visually. At F10 they are fine for planetary viewing, and with a Barlow and lots of skill they are excellent planetary imaging scopes. Standard SCTs are fine visually, but can be a pain for imaging due to mirror flop, and without flatteners that have a very small flat field, so are fine with a small chip camera, but not with a larger chip.

If you are moving the gear around, then an 11 inch scope, especially if you have any sort of physical mobility issues, is too big to handle yourself. Anything above that is a monster really!

RC's can be extremely tricky to collimate. With your level of experience I would avoid any of the more esoteric cassegrain designs until you have a few years under your belt. They can make you lose the will to live! They are also distinctly underwhelming visually due to the lack of contrast caused by the large central obstruction.

I would go for an 8 or 9.25 inch edge HD if you can run to it.

Archived