help on setting up finder scope

just unboxed the star adventurer, everything seems fine except for setting up  the polar scope. I think I can work out the first bit but its this bit  "ADJUST THE DATE GRADUATION CIRCLE first according to the difference between standard time of your region and the observing site. For example if you are in Prince Rupert, Canada which is 130 degree west then you have to turn the DATE GRADUATION CIRCLE to make the TIME MERIDIAN INDICATOR point to west 10". I just dont get how 130 degrees equates to west 10 am I missing something here? 

Cannot work out what is said and asked.

the bit saying - to make the TIME MERIDIAN INDICATOR point to west 10"

is the problem. What is 10", it is not hours " is the symbol for seconds.

Prince Rupert is in the same time zone as Vancouver and BC and that is 8 hours difference.

Also not sure it would be 10am, I could half expect 2pm, times to the West are behind us, at 19:00 here it is 11:00 in Prince Rupert.

So in some respects I do not get which way the shift is but do agree that 10am is seemingly not right, or more relevant a 10 hour shift is not right, and 8 hour one yes but not 10 hours.

Actually just making a change according to the longitude seems more sense, set the dial according to your longitude and forget the rest. Really must go take a look at the polar scope I have, if I could recall where it is.

Silly but they haven't made a typo and mean:- set to 130o West ?

As in set to your Longitude.

I'm sure someone more knowledgeable than me will pop up soon.

I'm guessing that it's accounting for the difference between your actual location and the time zone you use.

So, for me, I might be on GMT, but I'm 3° E of that location and so need the off set!? :)

Makes some sense, 8 time zones West is 120 degres and PR is 10 more so that is where the 10 comes from.

In effect PR is 10 degrees West of the Meridian line for the timezone it is in.

So you would set 3.4 (if it were possible) for Merthyr, and it would be West.

Seems a complete mess.

ah right wheres that lightbulb, think I am with you but just noticed something else if you are in south wales wouldnt that be west of GMT

Yup in theory. ( have a search for a review from PhotosbyKev he did a detailed write up about this mount when he was hacking it for time lapse control IIRC)

Admittedly I will now become 'EVIL!' :evil:

With just two, little words: Magnetic Declination. Or, sometimes when influenced by variations introduced by local factors - which induces variations to the magnetic-field - called magnetic-deviation.' Wiki can help:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetic_declination

Now I must make my home welcoming for Satan's...er...SAnta's visit!

Ho! Ho! Ho!

:eek:  Dave :eek:

post-38438-0-71044100-1418075731.jpg

Archived