NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Amp glow

Tim

have seen a bit about this lately, but dont fully understand it.

What confuses me is the comment by somebody (I forget who) that the Canon 400D does NOT have amp glow problems, but the 350D DOES.

Can anyone shed a little light on the matter?

Thanks

TJ

Don't know about the Canon cameras, but..

Amp glow is a thermal effect caused by preamplifiers built adjacent to the imaging portion of the camera chip. The heat from these builds up during an exposure and affects the electron well level detrimentally in the area of the chip adjacent to the amplifier.

If the 400D has the amplifier remote from the sensor, that will help.

Dark frames do help as well (auto or manual).

Kaptain Klevtsov

In the Canon 350D it shows up near the bottom right of the frame as a faint glow, some cameras are worse than others and it is normally dependent on the ambient air temperature when the exposure was taken but there are exceptions. Our society has around ten 350D users and only one has been returned because of excessive amp glow and it was really intrusive as the lower central part of the frame was swamped and after a trip back to Canon UK under the 12 month warranty we have still to find out whether it is cured as there have been very few chances to give it an outing :D Up to now I have not seen any evidence of it on the 400D but in the next few weeks it will be given a really good going over :D:afro:

I think it was me who told TJ that I'd gone for the 400D to mod instead of the 350D because of ampglow issues on my 20D.

From reading various reports it seems that each generation of Canon sensor improves the ampglow performance.

My newly modded 400D shows no ampglow on exposure times that would be tricky to deal with on my old 20D, so I'm pretty relieved!

The 20D is still great for non-astro shots though.

Cheers

Mark

Archived