Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Jupiter GRS 24th Nov

ReticMikee

Great image !! I'm still waiting to see Jupiter let alone image it. There is just something about a warm bed that appeals to me more than having to get up at the wee hr's and stand in the cold. I think I read in Sky at night Jupiter reached it's highest point in the sky and I got all excited till I realized it was at 5am -_-

I'd be a bit careful with the noise reduction Mike as your image looks a little smudged.The frequency domain filter is very good for removing noise without smudging or reducing the noise level before using noise reduction to finish the job.

Have you tried stacking more frames? How many did you stack? The colour does look a little too orange on my screen also. Takes a while to get the balance right with new software.

I'd be a bit careful with the noise reduction Mike as your image looks a little smudged.The frequency domain filter is very good for removing noise without smudging or reducing the noise level before using noise reduction to finish the job.

Have you tried stacking more frames? How many did you stack? The colour does look a little too orange on my screen also. Takes a while to get the balance right with new software.

Sorry to hijack someone's post Stuart but is there any chance you could do some sort of tutorial on the frequency domain filter? I can't be the only one that doesn't know how to use it?

Regards

Harvey

I was just thinking Harvey as I was writing that previous comment I should post up a screen grab of the frequency domain filter as its hard to explain without a demo. Neil Philips first told me about this facility and it took me a while to get the hang of it. If you remove too much of the image data, artefacts can be created. Below is a quick demo though admittedly the image is not that noisy in the first place but you get the idea.

Thanks Stuart

I must admit  this is all a huge new learning curve for me as im new to image processing and was pulling my hair trying to process an image I was happy with..so really appreciate your help with these demos :grin:

I stacked 50% of all the R  G  B  channels 

I was just thinking Harvey as I was writing that previous comment I should post up a screen grab of the frequency domain filter as its hard to explain without a demo. Neil Philips first told me about this facility and it took me a while to get the hang of it. If you remove too much of the image data, artefacts can be created. Below is a quick demo though admittedly the image is not that noisy in the first place but you get the idea.

ive been banging on about this for so long now I have always been surprised how little it gets used. . Didn't know you was using it now Stuart.

I think I remember you saying you couldn't get the hang of it.. Once its understood, its both easy and effective as you now know. But  as you say you do have to be careful, it can actually remove detail not just noise. There has been times where I have fallen in and out of love with it.

Sometimes noise looks like detail, and once removed, the image can often look less fine, for some reason.

I thought I had a good handle on processing, Untill I saw Petes processes. Pete does some pretty great stuff. we have a lot to learn from him.

hope Mike doesn't mind. I have no good data of late. so I tried this image with a few tricks  I know. Excellent captures Mike

post-2700-0-36260000-1417954614_thumb.pn

Boosting the "view scale" value was the key for me Neil. Before that I was not clearing all the noise data and was removing too much of the main image data which especially on Jupiter was producing artefacts. Only twigged a few months ago.

You are doing great Mike!

Thanks Neil

I don't mind at all.....much appreciate your help :-)

I was trying to figure out how to brighten the white areas......?

Great work Neil

We all never stop learning, as I mentioned Pete  is doing some great  things that I don't know about.

I will post up some stuff that you might find useful Mike . You are getting better data than me. Just need a few tweaks and you will be flying.

Speak soon im off out

Boosting the "view scale" value was the key for me Neil. Before that I was not clearing all the noise data and was removing too much of the main image data which especially on Jupiter was producing artefacts. Only twigged a few months ago.

You are doing great Mike!

Yeah I thought you knew about that. I would have said.

that selective tool is cool isn't it. what it needs is different shapes though. squares don't always suit round planets. But its cool applying things where they are needed, rather than where they are not I can see you like it already. When I fell in it was oh ok, that's useful

We all never stop learning, as I mentioned Pete  is doing some great  things that I don't know about.

I will post up some stuff that you might find useful Mike . You are getting better data than me. Just need a few tweaks and you will be flying.

Speak soon im off out

Mike when you go on to Analyzer  there is a number of ways you can brighten the image. A lot of folks use curves. I don't. Some of the things you could try and mess about with is  click OPERATIONS . (On top of analyser ) Then click colour correction. Then click Colour mapper. Here you will find black and white. you can use those for a lot of these adjustments. you can also find these types of things again under colour correction.  On colour balance and curves. Plenty to play with on there. Also you might find interesting, again under operations.

INCREASE LOCAL CONTRAST

You will have to experiment to see what it all does. But a start point would be, drop CONTRAST NEIBOURHOOD SIZE to 1.0 . Then raise maximum contrast slowly watching what happens.

You will have to be careful, because as you raise it. Colour saturation will also go up. And if you are not careful it will soon be a myriad of rainbow colours. So back off. Use sparingly is a good thing. There is quite a bit of play on this setting of increase local contrast. So again just experiment and get a feel for it.

If you have any questions ask away, Hope I am helping. Me and Stuart are always chatting about processing sharing ect. Its one thing ive always loved doing in this hobby. Is seeing others find there feet. Especially when they are already getting data as good as yours. your over halfway there, just a few tweaks and your flying.

Great captures lately Mike. Hope I get something soon, its been the pits for me for some time. Hey ho.

Heres another go at your image. Looking more closely I wasn't happy with the first go.

I can tell you Mike, ive had more fun with your data than mine of late. Once again good shots. Your C 11 is producing wonderful detail, is it new ?

Btw to reduce the colour fringing I did a RGB align on registax. and colour noise reduction on analyzer. if you use the square highlight tool next to the zoom eyeglass one.on top of analyzer 

you can just kill the fringing on the planet. But not the planet itself, as you can see the fringing is nearly all but gone. But the colour of the planet is still vibrant. I set colour noise reduction to max. when I did this.

its under  operations. Then filters. Then adaptive noise reduction

Filter size 15. Colour noise  100. Smooth Filter strength 0

post-2700-0-18851700-1417974185.png

Heres another go at your image. Looking more closely I wasn't happy with the first go.

I can tell you Mike, ive had more fun with your data than mine of late. Once again good shots. Your C 11 is producing wonderful detail, is it new ?

Btw to reduce the colour fringing I did a RGB align on registax. and colour noise reduction on analyzer. if you use the square highlight tool next to the zoom eyeglass one.on top of analyzer 

you can just kill the fringing on the planet. But not the planet itself, as you can see the fringing is nearly all but gone. But the colour of the planet is still vibrant. I set colour noise reduction to max. when I did this.

its under  operations. Then filters. Then adaptive noise reduction

Filter size 15. Colour noise  100. Smooth Filter strength 0

attachicon.gifm 1.png

Thanks Neil appreciate all your help as well as Stuarts help :-)

That's given me loads to think about and play with LOL

I got my C11 back in May and really pleased with the results im getting so far !!!!

Archived