NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Xmas present binos for father in law?

Chris

Hi guys, I'm looking for a pair of binos for my 70 year old father in law for Christmas.

He owns an 8" Newt on TAL style GEM mount which he's owned for about 30 years now, plus I bought him a more manageable 90mm f/10 frac last year. Until now he's not had the best vision in his right eye due to cateracts and other issues but he's now had the cateract removed plus laser eye surgery which has gone a long way to restoring his vision :) He still need glasses and has some degree of astigmatism. I'm not sure how much.

He does own a vintage pair of Swift bins but I've looked through them and frankly they need serious attention, the views were terrible!

I think a new pair of bins would make a great present celebrating the return of vision in both eyes! :) 

I have a budget of 100 pounds and I'm open to ideas on size, make, and style of binocular.

Thanks very much for any advice given :)

They look really good, I'm about to hit the buy button but just need to check the eye relief will be enough for glasses?

It says the 10x42mm has 14.2mm eye relief with twist up cups. Does anyone know if this would be enough?

The 8x42mm has more @ 17mm eyerelief, but I've heard that large exit pupil plus astigmatism can cause problems with sharpness.

You can't win can you :D

Hi, a look at Steve Tonkin's Binocularsky website should be useful.

http://binocularsky.com/binoc_choosing.php

If your father in law is a bit  of a traditionalist the porro binos from Strathspey might suit. Both the 10x50s are more like 10x42s (many binos are stopped down for optical purposes) but have a good reputation. The marine has individual focus which is good for astro work but is a bit more fiddly for terrestrial when a quick change of focus is necessary. Its worth noting that you need to add VAt to Strathspey shown prices. On the other hand if something less weighty is preferred then the roof prism bino might be the way to go. The Oregons (and the Sierras) look good, but going off-piste a bit - this website has a lot of info.

http://www.bestbinocularsreviews.com 

and these get a good review:

http://www.bestbinocularsreviews.com/Celestron8x42NatureDX-119.htm

These are just over the budget at £108 here:

http://www.astronomycentre.co.uk/Nature_DX_8x42_Binoculars_p/c71332.htm

The 10x42 are just a tad more expensive at £115.

Well I haven't hit the buy button on the Barr & Stroud just yet (waiting on a reply from FLO regarding eye relief).

Thanks for the links Alfian, it did slip my mind to review Steve's site I must admit, his page where best buys per price bracket has thrown up the Opticron Oregon, and I did notice there is a more expensive pair of Opticron's reduced to the same price in the FLO clearance section which I might ask about :)

The Celestron DX and the Nikon action look great but I'm probably already pushing things at 100, he's a great guy and all that but I'll end up spending more on him than my wife if I'm not careful :D

I lent him Steve's book a little while ago, so he should be in a good position to critique my choice of binos when he gets them :)

I've started leaning towards roof prism thinking it might make a change from his bulky Swifts, plus he does do a lot of nature conservation work so roof prisms might be nice and compact to take on task with him :)

Check out their Helios Naturesport WA 8x40, I bought mine  much cheaper during their Summer sale. Great optics, good eye relief,  wide views. Pretty steady in the hands too!

Price looks tempting, shame there not on sale anymore then it would be even more tempting. look similar spec to the 15x70 Q4's I had, they were ok but quite soft around the edges.

Those look great, they are pushing the budget a bit for the 42mm though :(

Would these Opticrons on the reduced section at FLO be any good? originally 155 down to 97.

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/clearance/clearance_opticron-explorer-bga_13172.html

They do look nice, however I can't add anything else to help you with your choice. Hopefully the more experienced members will be able along soon to help.

The bins that Steve recommended look great and if he thinks there worthy of consideration then they must be good.

Yes, good price!

SteveB got back to saying the Barr & Strouds were the best roof prism bino he knew of under 100 pounds, but maybe he was forgetting about this bino on the discount section. I'm sure he must of not counted the Opticron Oregon due to them being slightly over budget.

Archived