Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Which one to choose, 68 or 70 degree Explore Scientific ...

kev100

Hi, 

I've been hankering after an Explore Scientific 68-degree 24mm EP for a while now (ever since I got a 16mm one a few months ago - and love it!). 365astronomy has them for 66 quid. However, Telescope house has the 70-degree, 2-inch 25mm EP for 62 quid  ...

To be honest I'm inclined to go to the 68 degree one anyway, as I think the 68-degree fov is fine as is, the EP will fit in my barlow should the need arise, and I'll probably be buying a 1.25-inch UCH filter at some point soon, too – so I guess I've answered my own post, but I am intrigued by the 2-inch 70-degree all the same, and wonder if I should reconsider my initial inclination ... Will there be much of a difference between the two EPs (in my scope)?

Any thoughts/experience?

Cheers,

Kev.

I'd go for the MV 68° 24mm. This will give you a great views with plenty of field to be going on with. It is worth saving for a decent 30mm 82° eyepiece somewhere down the line. The MV 28° is a lovely eyepiece but you don't gain much over the 24° and, as you mention, none of your filters will fit!

My MV 68° 24mm is my most used eyepiece (great for ferreting out galaxies).

Paul

I use a 68° ES in my 250PX Dob and it's fine. I haven't used one of the 70° series but have also heard that they are not as good as the 68°. I have a few Pentax XW and Hyperions and have tried a few Panoptic and Delos EP's and I can't see an obvious difference between 68-70-72° to be honest.

Archived