Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Need help with my step by step instructions please

DSS has tabs for stacking multiple nights.  You load them in separately in each tab with each of their respective flats and darks and bias.

They are at the bottom of the DSS page.  I know some people have difficulty getting the whole of the page visible on their screen, but if you can manage to fit it all in it will be there.

Carole

• Replies 383
  • Created
  • Last Reply

M33 always looks pretty dim in subs and is nearly invisible in the eyepiece from my LP location, have you tried the Double Cluster yet ? also lot's of open clusters nearby littered along the path of Milky Way, you could tick of a few Messiers.

Dave

So it would allow for different ISOs, sub lengths etc, but would it allow for the orientation of the object to be different? Because they definitely are in my two Pleiades sessions.

Whilst DSS will allow you to mix sub lengths and ISO settings I would not recommend going so.

The results may be a poorer image than a single set.

Different sessions with the same settings is fine but when you start mixing very different images you can lose data.

You are better off mixing them manually. The main reason to change length or gain would be to provide data where bright bits aren't blown out and use this to replace the blown out areas in the longer subs.

DSS won't do this for you.

TSED70Q, iOptron Smart EQ pro, ASI-120MM, Finepix S5 pro.

Hi Ian

There is a couple of tutorials on DSS and one of them covers stacking from different sessions, you can find at BugetAstro.net

Just click on the tutorials tab and sit back and absorb.

You've caught the bug good and proper now, well done with your photos to date, and well done to everyone that's chipped in to help get you sorted. It's what makes this site stand out, all these outstanding people.

Regards

John

Anyway, I'm pretty happy with my step-by-step and polar alignment routine now (slightly updated again, and attached), so I think it makes sense to end this topic, and ask about image processing etc in a new one. Thanks for the help everyone, it was fantastic to finally get started and start getting some results after all these months! :grin:

HEQ5 Step By Step Imaging Setup Guide.doc

Been away for a couple of days with limited Wifi access.

Yes I tend the stack the different nights Separately and then stack the stacks.  DSS will normally handle different orientation so long as it's not a long way out, but you will then tend to need to crop so depends how much you would lose.

Carole 

Archived