Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

200p finder scope

Hi folks.

What are you guys using as a finder scope on a 8inch dob scope. Im now finding it difficult to look through my 200p skywatcher stock one due to having surgery.

Can I put something on it to stop me having to lean over it to view or are there alternitive places to put an extra one fitted on?

Thanks for any help indeed.

Morning Buzz...

Sorry to hear about the surgery, hope your on the mend, I've a little one in hospital at the mo so I know it can be a tiring time and the last you want is faffing about and yoga lessons to use a finder..

You might want to consider a right angle upgrade, don't think it's something you can add to a stock straight through but there good price second hand and available quite often on things like astro buy and sell or even eBay...

You could also consider using a non magnified red dot finder like rigel or telerad, I found this increased my accuracy in locating objects by 1000%.. not actually measured that but it it certainly help a lot..

Hope all goes well on the road to recovery!

Clear sky's (to all of us!!)

Fozzie

I have the standard 9x50 straight through and a Telrad, both of which require  laying across the telescope?

A RA or RACI upgrade as suggested by Fozzie is possibly your main option.

Raising the height of the Dobsonian by using an additional base has helped some folk to help get behind their finder scopes, but the 9x50 needs almost eye contact with the finder, and  with the Telrad, you need to be aligned and close to the HUD screen.

The Telrad could be mounted between the original finder-scope and the focuser using an adapted 'riser base' but that for me at present seems to crowded.

If you have no problem reaching the eyepiece, then a Right Angled finder scope, even possibly re-mounted closer to the focuser base, to aid in your reach.

Hope your surgery is short term with your reduction of reach / ability.

Hello Buzz as other members have stated I use a 9 x 50 right angled correct image finder which is much easier to use than the straight through finder, especially now I've turned the eye piece 45 degrees to wards the focuser. I also use the Telrad on a 4 inch riser. I have noticed recently that The telrad is getting me straight to my target and I seem to be by passing the RACI.

Archived