Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

ASCOM/EQMOD transfer to another computer??

Skipper Billy

I am swapping over from a laptop to a dedicated machine for astro stuff.

I have spent ages setting up ASCOM/EQMOD to be exactly how I want it - is there a way of transferring the settings etc to another machine - a config file, export settings ??

Just to save a LOT of time !!!

• 3 weeks later...

I currently use a Windows 7 laptop but it is old, with a few keys missing here and there and has often had moisture running down the screen during imaging sessions, so I have recently bought a Windows 8 laptop. I have Ascom 6 on my old laptop and recently started using EQMOD, so have that on there as well. I have loaded Ascom 6, EQMOD, Artemis, PHD 2 and various other software on to the new laptop. I didn't use anything to transfer files, but opened each program that had settings and copied them to the same program on the new laptop. I know it's not your preferred solution but it only took me an hour or so to do it. I have tested everything I can in daylight (skewing to a target in Carted du Ceil and returning to 'Parked' using the EQMOD command) and it all works fine. I have yet to check PHD is working correctly when guiding (though it recognises the guide camera and takes pictures) so I have no reason to suspect it won't work in guiding.

I am assuming some files are written to registry (I don't know for sure) but thought my choices would be, copy the whole hard drive to ensure I captured everything or, do as I have done. I (personally) figured that if I copied the whole hard drive and something didn't work then I might have a tough time tracing the problem. By loading all the software on the new computer I knew all the files would be in the right place. I ran the Ascom diagnostics and had no errors. By testing in daylight I proved the other programs.

Not 'high tech' I know, but methodical (to my mind!).

Best regards,

Archived