Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

HEQ5 versus Celestro Advanced VX Mount

Which mount would you prefer for  imaging ,HEQ5 versus Celestron Advanced VX Mount. The imaging rig needs to be transported to a dark site by car.

The mount would be supporting a ED80 DS PRO,SW reducer plus adapter, Atik314+ , guiding with ST 80 plus Starlight CO Star autofinder.

Thanks in advance

Jeff 

Go for the HEQ5, it will guide that scope all night long without breaking a sweat.

Other reasons being that both mounts use different drive systems - the Celestron is servo driven, the Skywatcher is stepper driven. Servo has more backlash than stepper (in my experience), and in imaging - backlash is the enemy.

Edit: I might suggest ditching the ST80 though and trying a 9x50 finderscope + adaptor - but thats assuming your autoguider chip is sensitive enough to pick up stars via a finderscope. Reason for the finder is that it saves weight and has less chance of flex (if the mounting is rigid enough).

Hi

I don't think there's a lot in it really. The heq5 pro/syntrek is tried and tested and has a higher payload capacity, I think. It's supported by EQmod which the AVX isn't. The Synta alt-az adjustment bolts are quite soft and many people upgrade them (before they bend, lol). Of course, one is supposed to loosen one before tightening the other and there's no need to overtighten. Lots of people seem to ignore that... The heq5 mount always feels quite heavy to me. The AVX is perhaps a more modern design and has 2" tripod legs. The alt/az bolts are beefier and chunkier. Yes, it uses servos which whine a bit noisily when slewing at speed. However, it has anti-backlash settings. It also has various calibration and compensation routines - none of which I've tried yet! My AVX seems to track and guide better than my heq5 syntrek (though there may be more than one reason for that! I'm still working on it...). I can get 180s subs at 400mm without guiding. If you buy an AVX standalone, you only get 1 weight with it. It has a beefier dovetail puck.

I suppose it boils down to a personal choice and whether you think you might need the bigger payload of the heq5. Probably the best thing is to see both of them running and talk to lots of people that use either or both. Maybe scan the various forums to see what problems crop up, or not.

Louise

I have the HEQ5 pro. Never had any issues but have upgraded some bolts. It is EQ mod compatible. Now has a polar alignment assist built into firmware. Mine carries a 200mm Newtonian and st 80 no problem. I can get about 120s subs unguided with my refractors and about 75 seconds with the newt but nearly always guide now anyway. It's quiet and very solidly built but heavy. Fits in my hatchback no problem.

Archived