Security Idea - alarm!!

I've been pondering over security for my astro station and have had a brainwave. I was thinking of using a padlock to secure the cover to the ground, but this is silly! A thief would see the padlock, and simply get out his knife and cut through the cover instead of trying to take it off.

No, far more effective would be not to try and hold the cover on, but instead invite the thief to just take it off. A plug would attach the cover to an alarm, and when the plug detaches, the circuit would break and set off the alarm. Perhaps a 4-digit code would disable the alarm so I could get in.

Are there any alarm systems like I describe?

Cheers

Andrew

I've been pondering over security for my astro station and have had a brainwave. I was thinking of using a padlock to secure the cover to the ground, but this is silly! A thief would see the padlock, and simply get out his knife and cut through the cover instead of trying to take it off.

No, far more effective would be not to try and hold the cover on, but instead invite the thief to just take it off. A plug would attach the cover to an alarm, and when the plug detaches, the circuit would break and set off the alarm. Perhaps a 4-digit code would disable the alarm so I could get in.

Are there any alarm systems like I describe?

Cheers

Andrew

Thank goodness for that! On first read I thought this was going to turn into an elaborate method of electrocuting the miscreant! :shock:

What you describe is called a "hand grenade". A cord tied to the cover attaches to a pin on the device so that when the cover is removed it sets off the alarm. Voila, no more baddies.

Seriously though, a bathroom type pull light switch and a car horn wired to the power pack would make them jump and more than likely leave rapidly. A dog lead clip under the cover would be detachable for correct removal of the cover.

Kaptain Klevtsov

Thank goodness for that! On first read I thought this was going to turn into an elaborate method of electrocuting the miscreant! :shock:

Shame it isn't as far as I'm concerned. I did read about a system using ultrasound that causes the potential thief to c**p themselves on the spot. Now that's justice.

Thanks KK,

Unfortunately I can't find a single such thing when I search for hand grenade. Nor does there appear to be a similar category in the online security shops. Any other name it might come under?

The other idea sounds good, but as I have none of the components you mention, I would anyway have to buy them. Might as well buy something designed for the job, which also offers a continuous alarm...

Cheers

Andrew

I use a motorbike anti tamper alarm.. there are two versions I have seen one which uses a large thick cable that if broken apart or cut sets off the alarm and another that clamps on and goes off if it senses movement.

I currently have the first one anchored around my pedestal/cover and then fixed to the main gas pipe coming into my property, I intend to fit the later as well at some point.

I have also gone over all screw/bolt heads on the pedestal with hotmelt glue to prevent anyone undoing them, yet can easily steam it off when I need to.

I also have an infra red sensor light covering the area, the control for which is inside the house and its planned to wire it to a sounder box that will audiably alert me to anyone out there..

That and a very fast, large dog should see things covered as far as I'm concerned.

I did toy with the idea of electrocution when I reviewed the security on my observatory after my break-in....I didn't relish doing time for some scumbag so shelved the idea :wink:

Dog for the win.. on private property they cant touch you as long as you dont actually set the dog on them and encourage it to hurt them.

My old english I used to have brought a guy down that had been stealing underwear off washing lines and we didnt get into trouble at all, in fact I was thanked..

PIR detectors are too unreliable, and may go off spontaneously. Ians tamper switched trigger would be a better Idea. Or a presure pad switch placed in a strategic position. Coupled to a high positioned 500 Watt lamp to illuminate the area, and as loud a siren as you can find.

Job done.

Ron.

I use a motorbike anti tamper alarm.. there are two versions I have seen one which uses a large thick cable that if broken apart or cut sets off the alarm and another that clamps on and goes off if it senses movement.

Thanks a lot Ian,

Links to any of the items mentioned would be a bonus - not having a great deal of luck with google...

Andrew

I also had a quick look for one of the motion sensing type motorbike alarms and came up blank! I have seen them on folks bikes so they do exist, maybe we need sombidy here who has a motorbike to help us locate these. Gary1968????

I also had a quick look for one of the motion sensing type motorbike alarms and came up blank! I have seen them on folks bikes so they do exist, maybe we need sombidy here who has a motorbike to help us locate these. Gary1968????

Our Greg is a Motor Bike man, maybe he could come up with a result for you.

Ron. :wink:

just a note as a criminal lawyer.

People have been known to rig up man traps and other devices in their sheds to deter burglars. on person even had a gravity driven spike on a long rod which swung down when the door was opened.

these count as "engines" for the purposes of man trap legislation.

i am sure nobody here would rig anything potentially lethal up but the post reminded me of the "spike" case.

just a note as a criminal lawyer.

People have been known to rig up man traps and other devices in their sheds to deter burglars. on person even had a gravity driven spike on a long rod which swung down when the door was opened.

Head Shot!!!!

Quick, silent and humane. It wouldn't take much rigging for something like a sharpened tripod leg to accidentally fall off a shelf and hit an intruder in the head. I actually store my EQ6 tripod on hooks in the roof space in my rolloff it wouldn't need sharpening in anyway as the sheer weight falling from the roof space would be enough to brain any intruder :wink:

Hmmm... The first one might not be a good idea. If wind moves the cover, it might accidentally set off the alarm.

The second one will activate when anyone just passes by, which won't be nice if he's just taking an innocent look.

And the third one locks the cover on, which isn't the point.

Thanks anyway :wink:

This looks to be what I'm after. With mode 1, I just have that hook attached to the inside of the cover (out of site), and the alarm unit on the station. When the cover is removed without de-activating the alarm, the plug will be pulled out, and voila!

I doubt it's 143 db though - that's REALLY loud!! :shock:

Andrew

use your loaf, mate! Why didn't I think of this:

stick the alarm to the back of the shed/garage door, place a little hook on the door frame, and then as you close the door hook the cord over the hook, should the door then be opened by someone who does not know then the alarm will sound, sending them into a panic, scaring them off and alerting you to the intruder.

• 2 weeks later...

If you want a motorbike alarm, go to a motorbike shop.

Yes, it seems a good idea to let the burglars get to "Level 2" before scaring the (Audible etc.) b'Jaysus out of them. I was amazed to recently see a (provincial, quiet, posh-located) Railway Ticket Machine that had been (entirely) "gutted" with an Angle Grinder! I always look (enviously!) at all these sweet little (plastic, fibreglass) observatories... and mentally imagine "Chain Saw"... :afro:

When I was a biker (I had a Harley at one point, very nickable), I remember reading about a guy whose security system incuded a device that fired a blank (shame!) shotgun cartridge.

Would really have scared hell out of any thieving little blighter!!

Archived