Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Puchase advice for newbie

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Storage facility is not just about size but about shape. Does it have a tripod which will try to open itself whenever touched or protruding bits that will protrude whenever you don't want them to?

This doesn't; http://www.firstlightoptics.com/dobsonians/skywatcher-skyliner-150p-dobsonian.html

It will stand in a corner with a tiny footprint and has nothing sticking out or dying to flirt open and trip you up. It also has about zero setup requirement beyond taking it outside and it has the the aperture to show DSOs and detail on planets. I have lots of telescopes taking up space in my home because I do this for a living, but this 6 inch scope would take up less 'real' space than my small refractor on tripod which is always handy for wildlife and stargazing. But it is a pain when I go round with the vacuum cleaner!!

Olly

Thank you, two points, the skyliner 150p for an beginner like me, would it be difficult to track objects with the movement of us and no EQ mount? alao as I have now increased my budget upto £300 what is the best motorised set up and would this be less frsurating or overkill for me? Bearing in mind I would love see the moons of the Saturn / Jupiter if possible.

this looks really compact, easy to use, portable and from an outlet that is local-ish, although it loooks like they are stopping the public showroom soon. I know truists to Astronomy tend to frown upon goto systems but would you guys recommend I stick with a manual system, though most seem bulky and time consuming in set up or this type os scope? where do the differences lie in quality, what it will give me in terms of views and what others would you say might be a better option upto £300 ( always a good sign when the boss increases my options/budget) :grin: after multiple discussions of whats best. Thank you all

Scott

Nudging the dob to keep an object in view is a skill you'll pick up. I have no reason to think it's difficult, if it was was, I suspect this type of scope wouldn't be as popular as it is. However, I've never done it, so please feel free to add a pinch of salt to my opinion. I did add a motor to my EQ mount to keep things in view, but for visual observing I actually preferred the manual controls on the mount. Also once you start looking at motorised mounts, you have to start worrying about power supply, be that a power tank or safe access to the mains. The skyliner will show you everything you want to see and more and TBH, you would be better served by keeping the extra budget for future eyepiece purchases. That or buy the 200p version [emoji83].

There's no right or wrong way of getting to an object and at the end of the day it's what you see that's important. GOTO will eat into you budget at the expense of the scope. Personally I think you'd get more out of the Skyliner, the Heriatge or the Explorer.

Thank you, two points, the skyliner 150p for an beginner like me, would it be difficult to track objects with the movement of us and no EQ mount? alao as I have now increased my budget upto £300 what is the best motorised set up and would this be less frsurating or overkill for me? Bearing in mind I would love see the moons of the Saturn / Jupiter if possible.

My first telescope was the Celestron 127EQ. I can accept that the telescope was very basic, and I needed to upgraded rather quickly, but NEVER again would I use an EQ system just for visual observation astronomy. With a 6" Dobsonian, you simply place it on the ground, sit on a comfortable seat and view, no setting up, or having to rotate the telescope in its mounting rings? At just under 27Kgs ( Skyliner 200P /  8" ) its possible to lift it as one unit into the garden, or separate into two parts of  11 & 15.6Kg 

With the wider view eyepieces, tracking is very simple, left hand holds the chin handle, the right hand holds the tensioner brake and eye to the eyepiece.  As you progress higher with  magnifications , the field of view narrows, but you will get accustomed to the PuTo instead of the intricacies of a proper GoTo with its electronics, computer, and special alignment setup  for every session. 

(PuTo= Push To )

I would suggest you try one, preferably the 8" version. It will take up the  same floor space as a kitchen chair. 

Most people would rather be motorized for high magnification planetary viewing but on a budget you can't have everything. Tracking by hand isn't difficult though. The Dob benefits are;

- You pay for what matters, the optics.

- Setup is easy and alignment free.

- Storage is easy despite the aperture.

-The aperture makes DS objects worth looking at.

-There are no cheapo electronics to drive you mad.

Olly

Edit. By the way, a tiny pair of pocket birding binoculars will easily show the Gallilean moons of Jupiter.

some great advice, thank you, mostly pointing me away from the motor driven aspects. If I went for a 6" or 8" dobs what space do they take up? foot print/height etc as I do love the look of them, but as I have stated, space is limited and the boss said she does not mind what I have as long as we can put it out the way! any links to good deals people? ( dont ask for much do I?) and one more thing, when I left school I worked down the coal mine and injured my neck years later. I still suffer now so can not loom over things in a position where my kneck is bearing weight for long periods, I am fine sitting, leaning forward etc would this impact this potential purchase?

Down stairs storage as you will/could very quickly get mightly cheesed off logging 27 kilos (8 inch) out to observe.

Your neck may mean sitting and looking into a refractor or mak on a simple Altz tripod easier.

I sit to observe using my small 5 inch dob but it is not as relaxed on my back and neck as when I use a tripod and telescope with the eyepiece at the bottom.

I think a visit to a shop and actually try siting to observe would be a good idea.

Thanks all, went to Opticstar and spoke to the most helpful gentleman, Lee, he was sooooo good, even got my little boy a flight ticket to Mars off the NASA site and printed it off for him for the Orion project!

I have decided to plump for the Skywatcher Skymax 127 Synscan AZ GOTO, after seeing it work and how small and compact/portable it is and esasy for a beginner like me to use. Although after looking at First Light Optics it states on their site that it comes with a 2 x Barlow lense and camera adapter, which the Opticstar option does not supply, so will probably plump for that one. I would like to thank everyone for their help and support on this thread, really helpful. :grin:

On a side not, what a shame that Opticstar is no longer open to the public after today, especially after the customer service I received. :sad:

I have decided to plump for the Skywatcher Skymax 127 Synscan AZ GOTO, after seeing it work and how small and compact/portable it is and esasy for a beginner like me to use. Although after looking at First Light Optics it states on their site that it comes with a 2 x Barlow lense and camera adapter, which the Opticstar option does not supply, so will probably plump for that one...

I did the same thing when I first got started, and regretted it barely a month or two later, at which time I got myself a NEQ6 Pro mount (equatorial mount) and a Skymax 180. Regretting getting the Skymax, I then followed some advice here on the forum and got myself a Evostar 80ED.

The AZ system will not allow you to do imaging, so if you plan on doing that - AZ is a bad choice. the Maksutov scopes are good for only one thing really - planetary viewing and imaging. If you want to look at what I personally consider the most interesting things out there - namely gas-clouds and galaxies, you will need to do long exposures with a DSLR or a CCD camera. The AZ mount does not compensate for the earths rotation, and your imaging ability will be limited.

Also, the Maksutov scopes have superior focal length... BUT, their F-ratio (how fast they are in terms of collecting light) is very slow.

If I were to give my personal advice, based on experience.... very expensive experience... I'd say go for nothing less than a motorized EQ5 with a synscan goto controller, and a good refractor scope (very easy to handle compared to reflectors, that is mirror-scopes). The Evostar ED80 is a 600mm focal length scope. Its relatively compact, has very good imaging properties, and is easy as pie to set up and handle.

One thing to keep in mind is that this is an expensive hobby. People will tell you that you can get away cheap, by doing this and that. But in the end - when you've been bitten by the bug - you will be wanting everything bigger and better. ;)

Thanks Alveprinsen,

I would very much like to get into imaging at a later date, I did have reservations about the purchase of the AZ GOTO 127, the main one being the instability of the tripod, and if moved, setting it all back up again and also the battery life, but I put this down to 'you can not tick every box on a budget'.

After much deliberation with my partner, I might go for the skywatcher skyliner 200p. It has a bit bigger base than I would like but seems quite compact, and seems to have overall good reviews for a beginner. I have been advised by seasoned people on this thread that this would be a good purchase, so might plump for this one. It looks amazing too and it would allow for me to understand the night sky without too much punishment and without taking over.

Thoughts anyone?

Thanks Alveprinsen,

I would very much like to get into imaging at a later date, I did have reservations about the purchase of the AZ GOTO 127, the main one being the instability of the tripod, and if moved, setting it all back up again and also the battery life, but I put this down to 'you can not tick every box on a budget'.

After much deliberation with my partner, I might go for the skywatcher skyliner 200p. It has a bit bigger base than I would like but seems quite compact, and seems to have overall good reviews for a beginner. I have been advised by seasoned people on this thread that this would be a good purchase, so might plump for this one. It looks amazing too and it would allow for me to understand the night sky without too much punishment and without taking over.

Thoughts anyone?

The Skyliner  200P takes up as much space as a kitchen chair (my kitchen chair may be bigger than yours, but an average chair )  Give yourself 2` feet square  ( imperial )  and standing room fully assembled,  4` foot 4"  this gives a little extra room too.  I'm no more than 8 paces from inside to outdoors. I can lift the whole unit on one go. It sits in the corner of my kitchen shrouded in a white cotton king-sized sheet ( to be modified for a more tailored fit, and I have a heavy duty extended clear poly-sheet as a cover. Like a giant rubble sack.

The Skyliner 200P on a Dobsonian mount is not best suited for astro-photography. The Explorer 200P  on a tripod is capable, but many folk insist on a better mounting system

...The Skyliner 200P on a Dobsonian mount is not best suited for astro-photography. The Explorer 200P  on a tripod is capable, but many folk insist on a better mounting system

Yeah, with the Dobsonian mount you're basically stuck with an AZ mount again. It goes up and down and sideways, but does not allow for rotation.

Once again, an EQ mount is an absolute must if you want to do photography. If you want a 200mm mirror scope, look at the Skywatcher Explorer 200p or 200PDS - mounted on an EQ6 mount. Its what I am using.

But then again, you need so much extra stuff. Laser collimator, coma corrector... long dew-shield (can make this yourself)

Its not only the scope and mount you need. there's always a lot of extra stuff too. hehe. It never ends... :D

Archived