Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Lead me not into temptation, oh go on then ;-)

bomberbaz

10 members have voted

1. 1. Should I buy it

• No you already have plenty of eyepieces, don't be greedy!
    • Yes go for it, eyepieces to men are like shoes to women, you can't have enough!

Ok so today I had a lazy morning as I worked late last night and whilst doing so posted a thread about potentially changing some of my EP's for an Ethos although I quickly shelved that idea as I wouldn't be able to part with them.

So I had a peruse of the SGL forums and came accross this regarding Vixen SLV's http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/217971-vixen-slv-eyepiece-report-6mm-12mm-and-20mm/ and now I am trying really hard, well maybe a little to not go and buy a 9mm for narrow FOV planetary/small DSO etc.

Doing some comparisons I can achieve the same FOV with the 6mm Delos but conditions dont always allow, more often than not I end up between 12 and 8 for higher power viewing, occasionally getting it up higher is very good conditions.

Anyway, as you can see from sig all my current EP's are wide field in comparison except for the 25mm NPL but thats not got the magnification, the SLV 9mm would fill a small gap that I am convincing myself exists  :angel12:  < halo's slipping and I can't help myself, haha.

So all rush and tell me its a bad idea please, or I am going to end up spending another £20 on an eyepiece   :biggrin:

I've voted no on the basis that I don't think you need to plug that focal length given the other eyepieces in your collection.

If you want to buy it buy all means do but I don't think its good use of £100 for you whatever the qualities of the Vixen are.

What a boring response ! :rolleyes2:

I stand by Vixen EP's. 9mm would really be a great planet ep.

Oh, I agree Paul but, around that focal length Steve already had Delos in 8mm and 10mm and Pentax XW in 7mm. He's got the niche covered with equally top quality glass IMHO.

If the money is burning a hole though ..... I've bought a few that I didn't really need over the years :rolleyes2:

you are a bad influence michael HFW, tbh I am thinking of getting a solar filter for the frac but intend sticking with the c]basic stuff, i remember looking at a quark before and decided straight away this was one brand of the hobby i wont get too deep into. I will stick with the occasional view of the night skies interspersed with lots of clouds. 

BTW, talking about saturating that range of focal lengths, does ES make an 8.8mm one?  :evil6:

They also do a 11mm as well now that should fill all the gaps just nicely   :p

Archived