Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

New scope = Hurricane

idigitize

Sorry for the clouds folks… not to mention the wind, rain, hail, trees down and other structural damage that looks like its on its way,,, but i actually bought a new scope.

After 6 months of choosing, I went for the well advised sensible option - SW Ed80 (thanks StuW ) 2nd hand.  Thanks to all the great posts and guidance on here!

It leaves a bit of a budget to get all the extras… that add up and up and up.

The best part of £100 at flo and marlins just to connect my camera and power supplies etc etc etc :)

Think i might put a Baader zoom & barlow on my xmas list now which will hopeful only leave a solar filter, a moon filter, some dew straps and controller, a new laptop, a bigger scope, a new mount, a CCD and a guide cam… left to get :)  happy days.

Very happy for now though, just need to lose Hurricane Gonzalo!

AVX ED80 ST80

Cheers, and no its not balanced on this pic… This was just getting all the right bolts, threads and things to work…I was dead chuffed so stood back and took a pic.  (is there a logical reason for SW to make the threads at the top of the rings different to the bottom?)

I have 2 finders on in this pic too :)

Ive set it now and balanced relatively well, and the weight is about 3 inches from the end. I know one of the weak points of the AVX is being sold with only one weight when buying mount only. 

Ah but, 2 finders = twice as many targets. ;)

I agree with the rest, different threads drives me nuts, but worse, that suppliers provide highly expensive mounts rated at decent loads with only the very minimum CW.

PS AVX = Celestron, n'est pas?

My lowly EQ5 is now loaded with 3x5kg CW. Makes things a whole lot easier.

We should maybe organize an official 'No astro purchase' day so we can all enjoy perfect skies for at least one night a year :grin:

Nah, in the comments box, simply specify that the weather aspect of the purchase should be retained at the point of purchase and not expedited to the delivery address. ;)

Quote from UPS "Expedited shipping from UPS provides fast, guaranteed service for shipments worldwide. Start your expedited shipment with UPS today"

Archived