NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Solar noob.

Digger1895

I've been thinking and the idea of a solar scope is growing on me but I know absolutely nothing about it.

So what cheapish scope would you recommend for a beginner? Can you pick up something around 500 quid new? Would it be OK on an EQ5 with no motors? What sort of specs would I be looking for?

And just to show how much I do know, I take it there's no need for an added filter (have to ask as I'm rather fond of my sight).

I've been looking around the web and can only find small articles about solar, can anyone recommend a good website that explains stuff for a noob like me?

Sorry for all the question,

Cheers.

I cant really say i jumped straight into a lunt60. From images posted on here using a pst, id say they were good for the money but you will have to wait till a pst user comes along and tells the pros and cons. Double stacked will give better views

£500 (I'm assuming that you are talking UK pounds, not Aussie dollars?)puts you in the territory of a second hand Coronado PST. Capable little scopes.

£900 puts you in the territory of a Lunt 50mm (when they become available) or a Quark eyepiece in a refractor (assuming that you have a suitable refractor).

£500 isn't a very big budget when it comes to H-alpha viewing/imaging. if you start imaging then you will have to budget for a camera. A mono is by far the best- Steer clear of CMOS based sensors as they have a high possibility of interference patterns in H-a. Think along the lines of £200-ish for a decent second hand camera.

It says 'double stack' which I take is a good thing?

Double-stacking isn't that necessary when starting out. it can be added later, and the be honest, you're probably better off getting the hang of the single-stack first. Double stacking does give more detail, but also a much darker image, and one that takes a bit of tuning to get the best from.

Used to be you could pick up a new PST for 500 squid. No use lamenting that now I guess.

There are a bunch of reviews of different scopes here... http://www.solarscopereviews.com/

As is mentioned to go new you will have to up the budget but I guess you can see that, the doublestack PST would be a good little scope and you will get good views out of it in the Ha range but I fear the extra cost could be a turn off. As for a mount the smaller scopes like a PST can be mounted on a camera tripod so an HEQ5 will do the job nicely.

White light is extremely cheap. You just need some solar film and make for yourself, or buy (with solar film already included), a filter to fit over the objective of your scope. The next step up in white light is a Herschel Wedge (with other necessary filters like the ND3) but these can only be used with refracting telescopes, not Newts, Cassegrains etc.

As the others have said, H-alpha is a lot more expensive and you either need a dedicated H-alpha scope from Coronado or Lunt, for example, or you need a good quality non-petzval refracting telescope and Quark eyepiece. My gut feeling is you may find in the near future a number of 35mm Lunt and 40mm PSTs entering the secondhand market as folk upgrade to Lunt's new 50mm (when it comes out) or decide to sell on their H-a scopes to buy the Quark eyepiece.

My feeling on this is to keep on saving. Use the 500 you've got to buy a decent secondhand 80mm frac and use it as a gorgeous wide-field, white light, grab n go scope while you save up for the Quark and effectively have an 80mm solar scope for less than half the price (that's my own plan), or save up about 400 and 500 more and buy a 60mm H-alpha scope secondhand or a brand new 50mm Lunt :grin:

Thanks for the replies.

The 500 was just a guide to see if there was anything available that I hadn't seen in the shops here.

Qualia very interesting what you said about the second hand market. I'll keep my eye out while I decide what to do which usually takes forever.

I picked the Coronado PST as it was cheaper than the Solarmaxs and the Lunts apart from one which you certainly wouldn't pick if you were going by looks, it looks extremely basic and cheap.

So how does the PST stand up against the rest? I realise you get what you pay for but in essence is it a good scope? Will it let me observe details on the surface and plumes/filaments (not sure if they're the right descriptions).

Handy reviews here, Digger. And this page is a good for understanding solar features. Interestingly, the pale pink photos used to highlight what are filaments and prominences are the kind of image I have seen in a PST 40mm scope. But take that assessment with a pinch of salt, for I have near to nothing experience in H-alpha observing and obviously, the more you do the more you see.

At your current price point - £500, I would certainly look at getting a 2nd hand PST. You should get one for £400 - 450. Just make sure it is one of the more recent models that does not have any rust (breakdown of the coatings that causes a slight loss of contrast. Once its starts it will cotinue over time to cover the whole objective) on the objective.

People are right, i suspect that once the Lunt 50 is release there will be a number of PSTs 7 Lunt 35 on the market.

Ian

Still learning (of course!) and reticent about giving advice - especially having made a fool of myself on a couple of occasions. But, in the interests of sharing, here's my tuppence-worth.

Bought my SolarMax on e-bay and had the usual fears about that site - was I being conned; was I buying a pig in a poke - plus unsure if I was going to find solar viewing lived up to my hopes.

The purchase turned out well. The seller was an honourable man and fulfilled his side of the transaction properly. And the viewing experience turned out to be better than even my highest hopes. I'm now hooked on Ha viewing!

I also bought a couple of solar filters, one for the Dob and and one for the refractor in my sig, to view in white light. I enjoy these views and like to 'match up' what I see through the different scopes and different media. But I have to say that H-alpha wins hands down for me. Changes in the proms, filaments and granulation are, quite simply, fascinating. White light views tend to be more static.

I have had the briefest of opportunity to view through a PST and I believe my SolarMax has the edge. But the imagers on SGL, who can capture and store the photons while our eyes cannot, produce wonderful stuff that you will not see in such detail through the eyepiece. However, it is true that the more you look the more you see, and learn to see. I read somewhere that it takes about 2-3 months of Ha viewing before one's eye is 'trained'. Can't agree or disagree with that.

In short, I would encourage you to pursue the idea of solar viewing and would endorse the suggestion that the used market is worth looking at.

One caveat - prepare to become addicted!

Digger,

Which ever one you choose I am sure you will not be disappointed, the sun is a marvellous object to observe as it is very dynamic, literally anything can happen in an instant. Do not be put off white light as the close up views of sunspots and penumbra are excellent, some very intricate detail can easily be seen

I jumped straight in with a second hand Lunt 60mm and have never been disappointed, I have also never wished I had bought a different set up.

The scope is not the only the only piece of equipment to consider a good eyepiece is also a must, personally I prefer a zoom and a fixed length 9mm for my 480mm focal length.

A nice hat is also a must to help keep out any stray daylight and to protect your head, this is especially important if you are bald !!! One wouldn't want to confuse other local astronomers into thinking Mars has shifted 

You also have to think about consumables such as red wine and dark chocolate cake, both are a perfect combination for solar vieiwing and can also get quite expensive :grin:

Archived