Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

tripod for 15x70s

Big question is how tall the tripod is. Looking at zenith requires a tall tripod. I would also seriously contemplate monopods. Combined with a trigger grip, ball head, and a reclining chair viewing near zenith is much less of a pain in the neck.

As for stability, I would try out the tripod, that is the only way to tell, really

hello my friends...have been offered a tripod for my bins that weighs 1.75kgs and can support 4kgs. Is this enough for 15x70s ? Or do I need a really solid tripod ?

It's really hard to tell how adequate a tripod is without trying it. I wouldn't take too much notice of manufacturers specs, my Voyager alt-az came with a manufacturers

spec of taking a 10 kg payload, about half that is much more realistic.

If at all possible, best to try before purchase. Sorry to be a bit negative, but I've been disappointed previously on unrealisic mount specifications....

Regards, Ed.

Very true about weight vs, stiffness. Only by using advanced (i.e. expensive) materials like carbon fibre can you get better stiffness without adding too much weight. At the same time, carbon fibre in the specs does not mean it is a good tripod either. I might get a lightweight CF tripod for my solar scope for travel purposes, but I will try before I buy.

Very true about weight vs, stiffness. Only by using advanced (i.e. expensive) materials like carbon fibre can you get better stiffness without adding too much weight. At the same time, carbon fibre in the specs does not mean it is a good tripod either. I might get a lightweight CF tripod for my solar scope for travel purposes, but I will try before I buy.

Absolutely right there. I bought a decent brand CF tripod which came with a fairly hefty load capacity but I found it quite disappointing for use with a scope, too much vibration when focusing. I went back to an aluminium tripod with a high capacity, it's heavier but much more stable.

Everyone has different expectations so the try before you but is very good advice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One of the most stable and collapsible tripods, can be found associated with builders and surveyors equipment. Second hand they can often be had on the Bay for between £25-£35, it only needs a little ingenuity to bolt on a pan head, with or without an extension tube for a little extra height, they can easily support bins up to 25X100. The old wooden types, on which the Berlebach is modelled, are extremely stable and are able to support many mounts and scopes. However, for ease of transportation, I would go along with Michael`s suggestion of the monopod and reclining chair. I recall I have mentioned before, trying out a yard broom and cloth, but don`t let the other half catch you, or you may find you will be on sweeping duties :D

Archived