Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Newbie in Exeter

ElCatski

Good morning all.

For my birthday last week I received my first ever telescope, a Celeston omni XLT 150. I got a little over excited and set it up in my garden, decided there was a little too much LP , packed it into the car, drove to woodbury, got my mini stuck down a dirt track, calmed down a bit, escaped, set the scope up, watched the moon, got a little spooked, went home.

Needless to say, I am instantly hooked, found your forum, just wanted to say hi. Expect many, many newbie questions in the near future!

Hi ElCatski. Having recently become hooked myself I can understand that feeling of excitement although I haven't ventured out of my back garden yet. I can see the day when I'm stuck down a dirt track not too far off though as I've already started looking for good locations locally on google maps. Goonhilly Downs is looking like a likely candidate for me at the moment.

This seems to be the perfect place to ask newbie questions and you usually get a quick reply (you would have probably had many more replies to this topic already if you'd posted it in the welcome section).

If you haven't already done so I'd recommend downloading a free program called Stellarium http://www.stellarium.org/en_GB/

Its great for showing you what's visible in the night sky. I never realised there was so much to see until I downloaded Stellarium. Its also available as an android app (not sure about iphone) for a small price.

I'd also recommend getting a copy of the book "Turn Left at Orion" which gets a lot of praise on here and gives you recommended objects to view at different times of year. It provides sketches so you know what to expect to see through your eyepiece (it never looks like it does in the photos). I've found using Turn Left at Orion combined with Stellarium a great way of learning the night sky.

I...set it up in my garden, decided there was a little too much LP , packed it into the car, drove to woodbury, got my mini stuck down a dirt track, calmed down a bit, escaped, set the scope up, watched the moon, got a little spooked, went home...

Welcome to SGL :)

That sounds pretty much like how it is for most of us at first. I haven't tried Woodbury Common myself, I live in Whimple so tend to head a little north, although in fairness Whimple is fairly dark... and I always worried there's be some Marines on the common who'd take issue with my scope as it looks like a missile launcher..
James

Hi, and welcome to SGL from another near-Exeter member. Rather than getting stuck on Woodbury, why not come just a little further to the Norman Lockyer Observatory at Sidmouth - regular meetings on Friday nights, lots of advice available.

Allan

Thanks Allan,

Been meaning to come see the NLO for a few years, but don't rally understand what happens up there.

Could you give me a quick brief on what happens on a Frday night? judging by the weather this time of year, I can't imagine its a 'turn up, set up scopes, make hilarious in-jokes about Carl Sagen that Mrs Catski wont get'

The NLO Fridays kick off at 7.30 pm; there are various sections, so most of the observers start off in the planetarium for a talk about things that are currently visible or other topics, then go out with scopes in clear weather,  also there is a class for kids learning about astronomy. Imagers potter around on computers or just chat (sometimes about astronomy) if it is not clear enough to set up. There is also the meteor detection, etc, in the technology centre. There is usually a meeting for everybody after that with a short talk, information, etc. On a good clear night there can be quite a few scopes set up for imaging or observing. Plus tea and coffee (20p).   Why not give it a try? Allan

The NLO Fridays kick off at 7.30 pm; there are various sections, so most of the observers start off in the planetarium for a talk about things that are currently visible or other topics, then go out with scopes in clear weather,  also there is a class for kids learning about astronomy. Imagers potter around on computers or just chat (sometimes about astronomy) if it is not clear enough to set up. There is also the meteor detection, etc, in the technology centre. There is usually a meeting for everybody after that with a short talk, information, etc. On a good clear night there can be quite a few scopes set up for imaging or observing. Plus tea and coffee (20p).   Why not give it a try? Allan

Wow ! I wish I could find a place like that here in Paris :/ Sounds fun !

Wow, I can count my lucky stars (pun entirely intended) that this is right on my doorstep!

Mrs. Catski has plans for me (and when i say plans, i mean chores) this week

But thank you for the invite, I shall see you in the next couple of weeks!

• 1 month later...

Archived