Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Choosing a CCD?

Th3Edge

Hi guys i have been doing some imaging using my canon 600d  and am finding the weight of the camera seems a big problem.

So i'm thinking CCD maybe much lighter, if so,I was wondering which CCD is very good at imaging for a decent price?

Looking to photograph DSO's.

Any idea's guys?

Hi guys i have been doing some imaging using my canon 600d  and am finding the weight of the camera seems a big problem.

So i'm thinking CCD maybe much lighter, if so,I was wondering which CCD is very good at imaging for a decent price?

Looking to photograph DSO's.

Any idea's guys?

The weight of the average DSLR is much than a Mono CCD with a FW and filters, my 383 L weights about a Kilo on its own though there are lighter alternatives. If you go for a CCD it must be for a good reason . As far as the  choice, then you should go for the largest and the most sesitive CCD that you can afford so your budget plays a big part.

Regards,

A.G

Your mount is way too light. Especially if you're going to put a CCD plus filter wheel on your 'scope. You *may* get away with an EQ5, though the HEQ5 is reckoned to be the minimum for fuss-free imaging.

Is your 'scope the 150P or the PDS version? I ask because you may have problems reaching focus with the plain 150P. Either way you'll also be needing a coma corrector to cover any reasonable CCD.

If one of the reasons for upgrade is to improve your imaging - I'm assuming that has something to do with it and it's not solely down to camera weight - then THE best change you can make is to change your mount. I know that sounds odd, but your EQ3 is rather on the weak side for imaging. 

If you can upgrade your mount to an HEQ5 for example and get yourself guiding, you will be able to take ..... consistent ....... subs that have round stars and for long exposure times. I used to get 30 minute subs with my HEQ5. This will be the single biggest improvement to your imaging that you will ever see.

What length subs are you using now? I bet they are short. Once you get to longer subs, your DSLR will pick up much more detail.

Have you read the book 'Making Every Photon Count'? If you've not already done so, then get hold of a copy and read it carefully ............... twice ............. then you will have a much better idea of a path of progression in imaging. I'm afraid that the most beneficial path is not a camera upgrade at this point in time.

Archived