Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Auto sensing power switch.

Earl

You could use a DPCO  mains operated relay  to switch the OBS DC  between Mains derived or Battery DC supply... In the "simplest" form  without some "capacitance" on the output there would be a break in supply as it switched over... some kit might not like the small interupption it...

I  have on the past taken power from a battery connected to a mains/PSU/Charger circuit  which would keep me going when the mains failed - only happened once but it's marvellous when ell the lights go out...

Peter...

I  have on the past taken power from a battery connected to a mains/PSU/Charger circuit  which would keep me going when the mains failed - only happened once but it's marvellous when ell the lights go out...

Peter...

Am I correct in my understanding that, the 12v battery has the charger connected to it, so it runs of mains while the mains is on, then if the mains go the battery takes over?

You could use a DPCO  mains operated relay  to switch the OBS DC  between Mains derived or Battery DC supply... In the "simplest" form  without some "capacitance" on the output there would be a break in supply as it switched over... some kit might not like the small interupption it...

Peter...

Just parallell, + to +, - to -.

The battery will be continously charged by the power supply. 13,5V is safe and will not "gas" an ordinary lead battery. When mains fail, the battery will take over.

There is no simpler solution and it has been successfully used for decades.

/Thomas 

How would you wire that up?

Sorry wrong Quote.

Just parallell, + to +, - to -.

The battery will be continously charged by the power supply. 13,5V is safe and will not "gas" an ordinary lead battery. When mains fail, the battery will take over.

There is no simpler solution and it has been successfully used for decades.

/Thomas 

Whilst not cheap, this is another option:-

http://www.westmountainradio.com/product_info.php?products_id=pg40s

This is not 230V but you could plug a 230V => 12V power supply into it and have the battery also connected and charging.  I have one but have yet to test it but hoping for instantaneous switch over should the mains power fail......

hope this helps

Nick

Some of the more expensive chargers have a psu mode as well as a charging mode they can be used as power supplies without a battery connected...  If your going to leave it on continuously you are going to want a decent charger... especially if there are going to be periods of time with little or no "drain" on the battery where it needs to be "float" charged...

I like CTEK chargers in this application....

http://www.ctekchargers.co.uk/?gclid=CPvj1oePosECFSITwwoduwwAsw

I also have a couple of APC 3500W UPS's here with external battery packs they fill a 19" rack and are very heavy having around 150  individual 12V gel batteries in them...  They used to provide the standby supply  a call centre  in a dual redundant configuration...

Peter...

Archived