NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

M33 Triangulum Galaxy, HST (to show nebulae in the galaxy)

ChrisLX200

This is different :)  I aquired 10hours of narrow band data on M33 in an atttempt to show the nebulae within the galaxy, and it seems to have worked. Lots of miniature nebulae to be seen along the spiral arms (or where the spiral arms would be - the stars don't show up). You need to zoom in to 100% view to see them well.

My usual gear (NP127is, Losmandy G11, Atik490EX, Astrodon 3nM filters).

M33HSTPSST_zpsb33d3cfc.png

ChrisH

Many thanks, I imagine M42 would appear much like that larger nebula near the top, and there are many parallels to objects like the Pacman to be seen. However there are some anomalies too - those larger blue (OIII dominant areas) with no apparent associated HII regions, very strange and nothing similar in our galaxy?

ChrisH

Many thanks, I imagine M42 would appear much like that larger nebula near the top, and there are many parallels to objects like the Pacman to be seen. However there are some anomalies too - those larger blue (OIII dominant areas) with no apparent associated HII regions, very strange and nothing similar in our galaxy?

ChrisH

Very interesting. There is Ha there in those very blue regions at the bottom and lower right, they appear as little red eyes in Olly's M33 image. The Ha is in a thin shell so appears as a ring. Could it be that the radiation pressure from the stars in the central clusters pushes the hydrogen away more quickly into a more diffuse shell? Being further away it might be ionized less completely.

Archived