NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Star Shrink PS Plug in

swag72

Just thought I'd bring it to folks attention that Russell Croman .......of Gradient Exterminator fame  ................. has released a new plug in for Photoshop. It's called Star Shrink. You can download it for a free 30 day trial, then you need to pay if you want it after that.

I haven't tried it yet, but thought that it may be of interest to folks on here.

http://www.rc-astro.com/resources/StarShrink/

Just downloaded the trial version.  It's impressively quick and at present seems pretty artefact free.  Saying that, I haven't yet tried it on a sta rfield in front of a nebulae.  This early version doesn't yet have a preview function, but I gather this is planned for later versions.

Thanks Sara. This is such an important function that it needs looking into.

(Should help you manage all those bloated stars in your 3Nm Ha filter!  :grin:) You'll get Sirius onto one pixel if you use this...

Olly

I have been playing with this and it is quite impressive. The Radius slider is the crucial control as it determines how much area around a star is affected. For the entire image and in a busy star field multiple applications with different radii on different layers are required to avoid distortion around the area of the larger stars. It is certainly worth investigating.

A.G

I too have a had a quick play and it is certainly effective although the 'pinch' distortion does affect surrounding areas - I guess the key to using this is layer masks. Impressive plug-in though and Ken Crawford can certainly use it well as his video shows.

Excuse the poor quality of the ha image

I too have a had a quick play and it is certainly effective although the 'pinch' distortion does affect surrounding areas - I guess the key to using this is layer masks. Impressive plug-in though and Ken Crawford can certainly use it well as his video shows.

I have done a quick comparison on an Ha capture of the IC 5070. I think that the images speak for themselves. Excuse the poor quality of the Ha image . I targeted the larger stars.

Regards,

A.G

post-28808-0-12784900-1413212136.png

post-28808-0-14160300-1413212158.png

Archived