Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hi newbie here not sure if this is in the right place I have a skywatcher 130 it

comes with a 10mm and a 25mm I would like to get a couple more eyepieces

to look at plants, moon and stars can anybody recommend some thanks any help

would be great

Welcome to SGL.

I started with a SkyWatcher Heritage 130 and asked the same question that you just have. I then spent lots of money on Celestron X-Cell eyepieces, which gave me a fantasticly improved view through that scope. I then started upgrading my scope and soon the eyepieces I had invested in were sold at a significant loss to buy better ones.

My advice would be to spend your money on a bigger scope first, and then upgrade the eyepieces. Doing it the other way around can be very expensive.

Hi newbie here not sure if this is in the right place I have a skywatcher 130 it

comes with a 10mm and a 25mm I would like to get a couple more eyepieces

to look at plants, moon and stars can anybody recommend some thanks any help

would be great

Hi and welcome to SGL. What do you think the issues are with your current eyepieces?

If you wanted a couple to generally improve your viewing then it is back to the BST Starguiders.

I would suggest 8mm and 12mm at present - this assumes that your 25mm is OK.

It is easy to get caught up in better and more expensive eyepieces.

So choose what it is you intend to do in the future.

I picked up TV plossl's on the used side and have the set of them, very happy, I then bought the BST's (whole set) and am very happy with them also. I then stopped buying eyepieces. :eek: :eek: :eek:

Yes the scopes I have may well provided a better view with £250 eyepieces but I am not going to buy them :rolleyes: , and I doubt anyone is going to give me them out of the kindness of their heart. So I have what amount to 2 sets of £50 eyepieces and that's where I will stick. I'm happy.

The BST's are £49 from StL, the X-Cel's are £64 from FLO.

They are generally the first step up from the supplied items.

FLO do Skywatcher plossl's if you wanted to opt for them, they will also be better then the supplied items and are £20 each, more or less. If you wanted some eyepieces now for use in a better scope later then I would say the BST's as they will perfom well in most scope upgrade options you re likely to take.

Ok, well the max magnification for your scope based on our skies in the UK is about 260x. Therefore you could aim for an EP of say 4 or 5 mm. You could achieve this by obtaining a 2x Barlow lens and use that with your existing EPs. This is a cheaper option to upgrading your current EPs for new ones.

If you wanted a couple to generally improve your viewing then it is back to the BST Starguiders.

I would suggest 8mm and 12mm at present - this assumes that your 25mm is OK.

It is easy to get caught up in better and more expensive eyepieces.

So choose what it is you intend to do in the future.

I picked up TV plossl's on the used side and have the set of them, very happy, I then bought the BST's (whole set) and am very happy with them also. I then stopped buying eyepieces. :eek: :eek: :eek:

Yes the scopes I have may well provided a better view with £250 eyepieces but I am not going to buy them :rolleyes: , and I doubt anyone is going to give me them out of the kindness of their heart. So I have what amount to 2 sets of £50 eyepieces and that's where I will stick. I'm happy.

Thanks for the advice the 25mm is ok are the 2x barlow lens any good wuth the bst Starguiders

Thanks for the advice the 25mm is ok

The BST's are £49 from StL, the X-Cel's are £64 from FLO.

They are generally the first step up from the supplied items.

FLO do Skywatcher plossl's if you wanted to opt for them, they will also be better then the supplied items and are £20 each, more or less. If you wanted some eyepieces now for use in a better scope later then I would say the BST's as they will perfom well in most scope upgrade options you re likely to take.

Hello and welcome. First point is your scope is a negginer scope similar to where I started. Same eyepieces also so I know where you are coming from.

You font mention specs so I will assume you dont wear them. I would keep expenses to a minimum whatever you decide on but i think that plossl wise the Vixen NPL range take a lot of beating. Used with a barlow you also maintain the eye relief at hifher magnifications. My thoughts are 20 and 8mm plus a sw deluxe barlow. Even if you upgrade the scope you will keep the Vixens as they are smashing ep's. http://www.firstlightoptics.com/vixen-eyepieces/vixen-npl-eyepieces.html

Hello and welcome. First point is your scope is a negginer scope similar to where I started. Same eyepieces also so I know where you are coming from.

You font mention specs so I will assume you dont wear them. I would keep expenses to a minimum whatever you decide on but i think that plossl wise the Vixen NPL range take a lot of beating. Used with a barlow you also maintain the eye relief at hifher magnifications. My thoughts are 20 and 8mm plus a sw deluxe barlow. Even if you upgrade the scope you will keep the Vixens as they are smashing ep's. http://www.firstlightoptics.com/vixen-eyepieces/vixen-npl-eyepieces.html

thanks for the help is the 6mm any good ?

As you can see from the FLO page that bomberatz directed you to the 6mm only has 3mm of eye relief which you might find uncomfortable in use. IMO a better option would be the 10mm with a 2x Barlow, alright I know the magnification won't be quite the same but you will end up with a much more comfortable viewing experience.

Don't rush your choice and read as many of the excellent posts on this forum as you can regarding eyepieces.

Good luck and clear skies.

As you can see from the FLO page that bomberatz directed you to the 6mm only has 3mm of eye relief which you might find uncomfortable in use. IMO a better option would be the 10mm with a 2x Barlow, alright I know the magnification won't be quite the same but you will end up with a much more comfortable viewing experience.

Don't rush your choice and read as many of the excellent posts on this forum as you can regarding eyepieces.

Good luck and clear skies.

thanks I just wondered I am still looking and had some great advice on this forum thanks to everyone

What Astro gimp said  :grin:

Archived