Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Choice of Herschel Wedge

astrofox

Hi I need some help in choosing the best way to move over to a herscel wedge.

I have a WO Zenithstar 80ED with a solar film filter. I intend to move over to using a Herscel Wedge. Budgetwise I am constrained to the Lunt system but unable to choose between the 1.75" and 2" versions. I view both visually and photographically with a IS DMK21 colour camera.

Would the 2" give me any advantage over the 1.75" wedge? There is a considerable price differance between the two.

Thanks

Frederick

think that the 2" unit has better cooling properties for larger apertures, this being the main advantage.

if you get satisfactory results at 1.25" with white light there's no point in my experience with a larger Lunt, especially with an 80mm *D scope.

I (visual only) use the 1.25" with my 80mm f11 and 102mm f10 fracs with no issues at all.

I presume you know about not using a lunt wedge with petzval designs etc? and scopes with some not metal parts.

Frederick I have been using the 1.25mm Lunt HW for the last 18 months on my 102mm APO frac and it is fantastic. In fact I am using the HW right now with a Canon DSLR attached. This is the single photo I just took - not the best because of the thin cloud.

Although I have 2" EPs I decided that to view the Sun I just wanted 1.25" HW because I was going to use Binoviewers which are 1.25".

post-1628-0-63111200-1411911295_thumb.jp

Frederick,

I use the Lunt 1.25" Herschel wedge with the built in Nd3 filter. The scope I use with it is the Equinox 80mm pro, the views are stunning all the way down to a 4mm eyepiece even a 2.5mm is realistic on a splendidly clear day. The ability to fine tune is very useful with the wedge and in my opinion a good focuser is a must have.

I haven't used the 2" version before and the price difference put me off getting one, the 2" is also very large indeed and weight may be a consideration for you.

I do not suffer any heat problems whatsoever, in fact the wedge hardly gets warm at all.

Hope this helps :smiley:

I sketch the sun whenever I can and with the wedge and the 80mm frac the views are stunning and allow 100x easily. More is possible but you don't see any more detail really. I prefer the sharper views at about 40-60x. I was using a 15mm (60x) TV plossl earlier and the view was quite superb.

Here's today's sketches

post-5119-0-32165100-1411912588_thumb.jp

post-5119-0-02807000-1411912600_thumb.jp

post-5119-0-35643500-1411912615_thumb.jp

You really cannot go wrong, especially if you already have the scope.

Thanks Guys,

As usual SG Lounge helps. Now you have really wetted my appetite.

The price of the 2" was the reason for the question. But if it offers no real optical advantage I'll get the 1.25" as soon as FLO get  a delivery.

Frederick

Archived