Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

This blinking EQ6!

Chris

Hi, any idea about this blinking red LED light on my eq6? I've read that it's to do with power but I'm using a good 12v 5A mains camping power supply plus Skytron cable.

I used this supply with my previous eq6 and it was fine from what I remember. :’-(

I've sorted a few other issues out with this used mount like the backlash, noisy binding deck axis etc all using Astro baby's guide, but the LED has been a problem the whole time. It flashes for a while then goes solid, then flashes again some more etc ??

Anyone had this issue and found the solution?

Thanks

It occurred on my HEQ5 and those of other members. The problem for us is reasonably common and is the poor power connection made at the mount control panel. The jack plug just isn't up to it. In my case I hardwired the supply cable directly to the circuit board. It's been fine ever since.

It occurred on my HEQ5 and those of other members. The problem for us is reasonably common and is the poor power connection made at the mount control panel. The jack plug just isn't up to it. In my case I hardwired the supply cable directly to the circuit board. It's been fine ever since.

Thanks, definitely worth investigating, I can try one of those sticky back cable clips to start with to see if keeping the weight off the socket helps.

I did have another thought as well, I notice that the cable for this mount is quite a bit longer than for my last eq6, so I'm wondering if it's dropping voltage along the extra length as well as the gammy socket?

The EQ6 power LED blinks when there is low voltage in its power supply. You can check via your hand controller menu what is the voltage readout. If it's still 12v, but the LED blinks - the issue indeed might be with the connector.

I might order one of these puppies as well as looking at the socket :-)

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/power-accessories/maplins-xm21x-7a-138v-regulated-mains-power-supply.html

I think it's a good idea to invest in a good quality bench power supply for your EQ6.  Although it says they'll run on 12V anecdotal evidence seems to suggest they work better with a little higher voltage.  

I had the flashing LED problem when I first got set up in my observatory and I had the EQ6 running from the same source as other gear (dew heater, camera etc.).  I measured the voltage getting to the mount at just 12V. My PSU (one of these: Ripmax ) has a dual output so I ran a dedicated cable to the mount from one of the PSU outputs, and powered everything else off the other output.  Since doing that, the mount is getting over 13V and I've had no further problems.

Good luck, mine started blinking this week, kept losing connectivity with eq mod, finally the main board failed this evening, its popped a resister and burned the board :(

Jeez that's bad luck coco, I think it's about a ton for a new board but I guess you have already looked into this.

It might be a bad idea for me to try and use my mount until the new supply is here then, just incase the same things happens! Just need to wait a week or two for them to be in stock at FLO, I've already placed the order.

Hope you get your mount back up and running soon :-)

The EQ6 power LED blinks when there is low voltage in its power supply. You can check via your hand controller menu what is the voltage readout. If it's still 12v, but the LED blinks - the issue indeed might be with the connector.

Thanks, I didn't know you could even do that!

Optistar keep them in stock, not from OVL warehouse as most others do, they will try their best for delivery Saturday ( next day) or I could pick up that afternoon..

http://www.opticstar.com/Run/Astronomy/Astro-Accessories-Mounts-Skywatcher.asp?p=0_10_5_2_0_60

Mine has a small burned area, my mate who's an instrument technician for Shell is having a look at it, if he can fix it great I'll have a spare...

• 4 weeks later...

Just to conclude the thread and supply info for anyone else in this situation, I bought a 13.8v Maplin power supply from FLO and it has sorted out the blinking light issue completely, I now have a continuous red happy LED.

Cheers for the help guys :)

Archived