NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

September 27, 2014: Awesome filaments and spots

michael.h.f.wilkinson

I have managed to get a clear hour hear and it is certainly a day for sunspots and surface detail, not much happening in the way of large prominences but there are quite a few nice small ones around the circumference of the disc.

I am very impressed with the surface detail the Leica delivers and after a few, albeit brief trials, the Leica is surpassing the SLV on Solar

Just had a quick peek at the sun with the LS35, and was rewarded with stunning views of not one but two giant filaments. The must be close to half a million km in length. Some massive sunspots and surrounding plage can also be seen. Hope to take some pictures soon.

Hi Michael

I am still excitedly waiting for my Lunt 50 and just wondered what the visual experience is like compared with images  created by such as yourself with the same scope. I know (or think) the view is bright red but does the detail come anywhere close to the wonderful images posted in Ha? I get views with white light (Lunt wedge and slow Vixen frac) which match or sometimes better the images on SGL but is this the case at all with Ha?

Cheers

Shane

Hi Michael

I am still excitedly waiting for my Lunt 50 and just wondered what the visual experience is like compared with images  created by such as yourself with the same scope. I know (or think) the view is bright red but does the detail come anywhere close to the wonderful images posted in Ha? I get views with white light (Lunt wedge and slow Vixen frac) which match or sometimes better the images on SGL but is this the case at all with Ha?

Cheers

Shane

The visual experience is different from the images, but the details are visible. The pseudo-colour used in the photographs does enhance the contrast, but I can tease out most, if not all of the detail in the monochrome image seen through the scope.

Shane its great to read about your excitement and I am sure you cant wait to get your new toy  :smiley: the view through my Lunt 60mm is not bright red at all, it is the most beautiful orange colour.

The detail is not like you see in images but it is a lot clsoer than astro images versus astro viewing.Surface details such as patterns caused by the amount of visible granulation changing before your eyes can at time be quite mesmerising.

Shaun and Shane (something good about that combination!), my tuppence-worth is that the Solarmax also gives me this wonderful orange colour. And yes, the granulation is fascinating. I couldn't hold my hand up and swear that I've seen the proms actually 'waving' as I watch, but they do move rapidly and provide endless interest. (My wife may agree about 'endless'!)

Shane, you're gonna love it; you know you will.

Archived