Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Astrotortilla and Celestron 127SLT

tekkydave

This is probably a daft question but here goes...

I have been reading a lot about Astrotortilla and wondered if it would be useable with a Celestron 127slt on the regular nexstar a-z mount.

I suspect the FOV would be too narrow to have enough stars on the sensor to plate-solve the image.

Has anyone tried this at all? I have an ASI120MC and Canon 1100D cameras available to use.

The OTA is 1500mm focal length.

According to the S@N fov calculator this gives:

50.71' x 33.81' with the Canon and

11' x 8.25' with the ASI120MC

Also would Astrotortilla be able to control the mount via the Celestron Ascom driver?

Hi Dave

With the ascom platform and celestron ascom drivers installed, I think, in principal you could use Astrotortilla (with the appropriate index files). The main problem I foresee is with the slowness of the scope needing long exposures. AT prefers short exposures e.g. 3-4 secs, maybe can get away with 10s though I haven't personally tried it with longer exposure times. However, an alt-az mount isn't really suitable for long-exposure DSO imaging anyway...

Louise

Hello Dave,

I use Astrotortilla with my Celestron 8" at a focal length of 2032mm with no problems at all. In fact, without AT, I'd basically be lost! I do have to increase exposure time to about 10 or 15 seconds, but that works perfectly well. I can't answer the mount control question for certain, but if you can control your mount from your pc, then I'm sure that AT will be able to connect up to it too.

Good luck,

Hi Dave

With the ascom platform and celestron ascom drivers installed, I think, in principal you could use Astrotortilla (with the appropriate index files). The main problem I foresee is with the slowness of the scope needing long exposures. AT prefers short exposures e.g. 3-4 secs, maybe can get away with 10s though I haven't personally tried it with longer exposure times. However, an alt-az mount isn't really suitable for long-exposure DSO imaging anyway...

Louise

Thanks for your advice. I plan to upgrade to an EQ mount, probably an AVX in due course. I was curious about whether I would be able to try out AT with my current equipment to see how it works.

Hello Dave,

I use Astrotortilla with my Celestron 8" at a focal length of 2032mm with no problems at all. In fact, without AT, I'd basically be lost! I do have to increase exposure time to about 10 or 15 seconds, but that works perfectly well. I can't answer the mount control question for certain, but if you can control your mount from your pc, then I'm sure that AT will be able to connect up to it too.

Good luck,

Thanks. Yes I can control the mount using Ascom no problem. Do you get sufficient stars in your FOV at that focal length?

• 4 months later...

Sorry to bump this oldish thread but did you get this working, tekkydave?

I'm hoping to find an easier way to centre objects when working with the tablet and camera. With the rdf, anything dimmer than pleides is difficult and the dot is quite blurry covering a large fov, so I end up using a 25mm lens to align and centre, then switch to the camera and try and focus. There isn't much info on using an SLT Mount with AT.

I presume with AT, I do my regular 3 star auto align first with rhe hc and once slewed AT can take over? I could buy a 9x50 raci sw finder (on the birthday list for April), but wanted to try a free solution first!

Archived