Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

My First Successful Shot of the Milky Way

Evening All,

After sixteen months of reading, planning, shooting and failing, I'm pleased to have caught the elusive Milky Way on camera. Numerous times I've driven into the Brecon Beacons where the Met Office has forecast clear skies, only to be met with clouds. I went out last weekend - to what I thought was a dark area - and ended up bringing home more light pollution than sky; I was ready to pack in photographing the Milky Way.

Last night, clear skies had been forecast. Every half an hour I checked the weather for changes; nothing. I knew the moon was rising for 2256 so I knew I had only a short window to nail the shot. I looked up and to my disbelief saw a 'cloud' right following the exact path of the Milky Way, then I realised, it was the Milky Way! 30 Lights and Darks later and some time spent in Photoshop, here is the result:

15167192189_c3d7cff121_b.jpg

Milky Way From Nash Point by James, on Flickr

While it's not anywhere near as impressive as some of the shots that I've seen of the Milky way, I'm pleased to call it my own. This shot was taken at Nash Point in the Vale of Glamorgan.

James

Archived