Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Help me decide : Quark or Televue 60mm APO

I have a TS80mm APO. Its not the best scope. Its 480mm FL. The thing is when i was in the shop, the owner said the Televue would give better views with Quark than my 80mm because of its short focal length. Graaa.... :p

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't necessarily agree with that view. The TV60 will allow whole disk views because of its short focal length. The 80mm will show higher power and higher resolution views which may well be preferable for you.

I have a Tak FS60 which is probably of similar optical quality to a TV60. It is lovely, and great for travelling but ultimately it is still only 60mm so resolution and light grasp are limited.

The Quark is a narrow band filter so chromatic abberation is not a consideration.

I think I would go for the quark!

Stu

Thats a very valid point. The resolution gain from 60mm to 80mm is huge. And having done white light solar observing, i know i enjoy the view more zoomed in a bit. As good as seeing the whole disk is, it lacks detail at that power. I assume you can Binoview with a Quark?

Yes you can binoview with a Quark and it is very effective. Surprisingly, the Quark focuses further out than usual so in focus doesn't seem to be a problem. Go for it. :evil:

Thanks great news Peter. I somehow seem to have bought a Denkmeier binoviewer so can't wait for my Quark to arrive!! :-)

When will you have yours BigMak?

I don't actually know! Should be anytime now but there has been a delay while they reworked them to correct a quality issue. I'm happy to wait in order to make sure it's right when I get it, but am getting quite keen to see it now!!

Ive read about that issue. Ill check mine before leaving the shop. Just to be sure. I hate getting used goods. I think the Quark will be the best choice. I already have a decent APO, a perfect 60mm will be great, but i will always think how much brighter it will look in the 80 even tho the sharpness wont be as crisp.

If you are waiting for a Quark it will be fine as I doubt there are many sitting on a shelf, Bought a new eyepiece to go in mine when it arrives, 40mm plossl is recomemnded from reading the Daystar booklet. 

I would think an 80mm scope would be a good choice, when I look at the Moon I never wish I had less magnification

Archived