NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Shopping Trolly Full. What Next

First of all can I thank everyone on SGL and Staff from FLO for the valuable,helpful and sound advice I have received over the past three months in searching for my first scope and accessories.

I have just placed my first order with FLO

SW 200 p Dob

RACI

Telrad plus riser

Cheshire collimation tool

Deluxe Barlow

Williams 6mm EP

Panaview 32mm EP

On delivery I will set the gear up referring to the really good posts on SGL. I understand when I have done this I will have to wait for an unspecified amount of time for the clouds to shift. I understand that no amount of checking the Clear Outside app will make any difference. So what's next, start on the second wish list or get my noise into turn left at Orion? Which could be very frustrating given the fact I have new kit but cloudy skies.

My apologies to all for the cloudy nights due this coming week and once again many thanks for all the valuable advice I have received and read about.

My advice is to generally disregard all forecasts and keep peeking out of the Window. It may be seen by family and friends as a somewhat obsessive trait, but you will find gaps and get more time at the EP.

Helps also if you can store the scope assembled and ready in. an unheated garage or conservatory. Though otherwise just start the session with your lower powet EPs, while things cool down.

.............I dont have a RACI......but thats almost  a perfect setup! until aperture fever catches up? ie bigger aperture, more objects, under the right conditions.  My next option (should this arise, would be to get the 12"). But unless I win some money, rather than spending my own  pension/savings, thats a long way off just yet.

An 8mm and  the 12mm BST Starguider, should complete your setup  :grin:

Have fun when it arrives.  Check the telescope for any obvious transit damage. Set the thing up, then just use it. See what results you have. Mine was almost  good to go? but in order to learn about my telescope, and the fact there was a gap between the metal tube, and the spider end section, which meant removing the spider end cap  to fix the situation, I still would have, and did,  dismantle EVERYTHING on the telescope. This is not advisable for most folk.  But I'm very keen to learn/know  my equipment   inside-out.

My Mil training taught me that?

Enjoy your new telescope. Lastly, think  and sight carefully the TELRAD. 

im not sure if a telrad and raci is duplicating, you also get a finder with the scope

I would consider a RACI and a Telrad on a riser as the OP has ordered an ideal combination.

Good luck with the new kit.

As has been said, wait until you have some experience under the night sky to guide your next spending spree.

Archived