NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

ngc281 (Pacman) in HST

ChrisLX200

Imaged mostly under a bright moon, and tonight I must have been mad trying... full moon and thin misty cloud. However I really want to try out my new 3nM SII filter. This is a combination of 11 x 20min Ha, 6 x 20min OIII, and 8 x 20min SII. For a change I went for the Teal blue OIII look, but the stars still need work, I'll maybe try some RGB to get the colours (not tried that before).

Scope: TV NP127is @ 660mm f/l

CCD: Atik 490EX @ 1x1

Mount: Losmandy G11 + Gemini

Guide: TV Pronto + Lodestar.

ngc281HSTPS_zpsdef444f0.jpg

ChrisH

Well last night I doubled the amount of data I had in OIII and SII channels (unfortunately it looks like I deleted the original image I posted which was on my Photobucket account so you can't compare them now :( ). However, this is the updated one with 4hrs each channel (12 x 20mins). To my eyes there is not a lot of improvement to be honest, obviously stronger blue and red components but not much smoother overall. That might be because of the rubbish sky conditions I suppose. 

ngc281HSTFinalST_zpsf4e1b16e.jpg

ChrisH

Don't know about the comparison, but that's a lovely image. Particularly impressed with the dark areas, that you have kept full of detail rather than letting them go to very dark! Would love to see a hi-res file of this one as there seems to be quite a bit of JPEG mess on this uploaded version. It might be worth posting a .png rather than a .jpeg file, I find the quality is way better with the png.

Archived