NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Feel like a noob again!

bish

I had a fairly clear night last night to try my new 127 AZ GoTo grab n go. All very exciting.

I've never had a problem with my old EQ mounts, and my current 250px with 9x50 right angle finder is the easiest thing in the world to use (although I'm getting a Telrad to help when I go to dark sites).

I set me new scope out thinking that in a few minutes I would be slewing around checking out what it can do. My first problem was adjusting from a long tube with 9x50 finder manually to a short tube with wobbly 6x30 finder that wasn't aligned and having to use motors to move around.

I set the date time, etc and after over an hour managed a 2 star alignment (having swapped the finder over). When I tried to find something it was way out.

The co-ordinates should be correct (from internet). I think my mistake may be that I set to daylight saving time and left the time adjustment to 00:00. Should I have added an hour for BST?

I was all set to stick it on e-bay last night but obviously realise it's actually a decent little scope and I just need to get used to it.

Also, I'm going to stick a Telrad or Rigel finder on. Not sure which yet. Any advice appreciated.

Thanks.

Just remember that your skill at astronomy wasn't questioned here, merely your skill with a computerised system it sounds like you were completely new too. 

Keep practising with it, watch some tutorial videos on you tube to see if your missing something.  

Lots of people struggle for a night or two to get these set up. There are numerous threads on here about this topic.

My advice:

Consider tightening up the nuts on the altitude (under where the dove tail sits) and azimuth (under where the mount head sits in the cup of the tripod) axes to reduce play.

Get the mount very level.

Use new batteries; ideally use a leisure battery.

Make sure you are inputting handset data in the correct order and format (commonest mistake).

Get the scope as well balanced as possible.

Line up the finder scope as well as possible; use a 9x50 if you have one from the other scope.

Do a two star alignment, and make sure you are selecting the correct stars according to the handset.

If you have a near full view of the sky, consider turning the filters on in the handset to allow it to pick the best possible stars.

(Oh and make sure the handset is running the latest version of the firmware, v3.35).

Ideally use a reticle eyepiece to centre the star bang in the middle of the field of view, else use a low mag one first, centre the star(s), swap to a high mag (don't bother altering the focus) and re-centre, and then click accept for that star.

Don't kick the tripod.

You will get it to work, it is just a learning curve.

James

Have a go at setting it up in day light too; you know roughly where the stars will be at a given time of night, so tell the handset it is that time of night, do an imaginary two star aliment, then see if goto is in the right ball park.

You want an eyepiece with the widest field of view you can get.

To get the stars in view the scope has to start off as close as possible from the initial expected  This is I think the worst thing about a Mak of any specification. If the scope moves from A to B and is 1 degree out then what you want to look at is not there to be seen. So you need a well aligned finder, preferably one that doesn't shake.

Time is whatever your watch says and DST is On (at least until the end of October)

Dudley should be: Latitude 52 deg 30 minutes, Longitude 2 deg 5 minutes West (-2 deg 5min), Timezone = UTC or 0.

Thanks for  your replies. Funny James mentioned 'don't kick the tripod' - that did happen several times!  I will go out the next clear night and take my time with it. I do have a spare 9x50 that I will use from now on.

I agree with the levelling 100%. I know some say it doesn't make that much difference but trust me it does. I also recently acquired a reticule EP for alignment and it has increased the goto accuracy without doubt. Finally always make sure your batteries are fully charged, accuracy falls away with flatter batteries.

Bish

I still stuggle from time to time with the SW goto, some nights its fine other nights it is like a bear with a sore head. I know it's only me but it would be nice to blame something else.

Can you believe it I just went back out and the mount has moved some clouds in that were not there 15 minutes ago, goto systems.

Alan.

I always would forget whether it is BST, DST, or UT on any given night, that is probably where my Goto setup failings lie.  I need a crib sheet in front of me with the dates and what I should be entering into the Goto handset!  Sold my Goto now anyway as it was just too annoying, the crib sheet would still be useful for manual polar alignment though I reckon.

Also, totally out of practice as the summer months have not been particularly great for observing, I was demonstrating my ST80 to someone and totally forgot to even remotely align the mount, I just plonked it down and started using it.  Mind you, I managed to find the Andromeda galaxy with the full moon shining so can't be all that bad, it was a rather unimpressive tiny grey smudge though, they liked the dazzling full moon a lot better.

Really want to get back into things now that the cool dark nights have returned.  Where is our solar maximum though?

I've tried again and the goto is definitely way out. looking at the handset it say v3.09 and James has pointed out it should be v.3.35. I have tried to download the latest version but it is a zip file that my computer can't open. Not sure what to do next.

Thanks.

Again, lots of threads on here about updating the firmware on the handset. Just search for "firmware" and i'm sure some useful threads will appear.

I'm not very good with computers so i can't offer any advice. I've managed to download and install the installer programme onto several computers so not sure what problems you are encountering. You need to install the installer software first, then run it with the handset (as per instructions in the manual) the. Select the update file (v3.35); just make sure you are not trying to actually unpack/run the update data file rather than the installer program... It's all very complicated for a thicko like me :)

Good luck.

James

(P.s. If the goto is really out, i suspect it's not a firmware issue; i hate to say, i think the most likely weakest link will be the operator... Double check all the data you are inputting for date and time and stuff. I always used to start the star alignment off from a position with the scope pointing due north and dead level, parallel to the ground. Others say this is unnecessary. Do you have a local astronomy group near by who could help you?)

Again, lots of threads on here about updating the firmware on the handset. Just search for "firmware" and i'm sure some useful threads will appear.

I'm not very good with computers so i can't offer any advice. I've managed to download and install the installer programme onto several computers so not sure what problems you are encountering. You need to install the installer software first, then run it with the handset (as per instructions in the manual) the. Select the update file (v3.35); just make sure you are not trying to actually unpack/run the update data file rather than the installer program... It's all very complicated for a thicko like me :)

Good luck.

James

(P.s. If the goto is really out, i suspect it's not a firmware issue; i hate to say, i think the most likely weakest link will be the operator... Double check all the data you are inputting for date and time and stuff. I always used to start the star alignment off from a position with the scope pointing due north and dead level, parallel to the ground. Others say this is unnecessary. Do you have a local astronomy group near by who could help you?)

Thanks James. I did wonder if the firmware would make it so far out. I have sorted out the update but none of my 3 laptops have the connection. My old PC does but then I get the message 'cycle power to synscan'. I've googled this and it looks very involved. I will re-evaluate in tomorrow!

The first star in the alignment process is often miles out. Once you centre the first star (assuming it is the correct star), the mount should hopefully slew pretty close to the second alignment star (ideally one field of view away at most). Centre and enter that star, and then the goto should be pretty tight.

As i say, my guess would be you are doing something, or missing doing something (including potentially centring on the wrong stars) - it helps to have someone there with you the first time to help, so i'd defo investigate local astro clubs, there's a website listing them all with the contact details, just google "astronomy clubs uk" or something and it will come up with a list of counties and clubs.

Frustrating i know but you honestly will get it sorted.

James

Thanks for your replies James. I have to wait until to tomorrow now - but having read your post that it is most likely operator error I stopped swearing at the telescope and have slowly gone through the set up. I have been an idiot! Because the coordinates and date were stored I failed to notice that the time needs to be reset each time.

Fingers crossed it's just my stupidity that's causing problems! At least I've got used to slewing around with it now. Can't wait to have another bash but the wife has gone to bed now and if I wake her up the scope will definitely end up on e-bay...

Archived