eyepiece set

morning all, I have been doing a lot of research on eyepieces, 'robins eyepiece guide' on the 'Swindon stargazers' site was very informative. now for trying to whittle down. what I am after is a set of three eyepieces to go with my 8" sw   planet, deep sky and something in the middle. spend about £60....ish a piece and need to be suitable for glasses wearer, (at the minute I am between do and do not)  can anyone recommend a good make/model please

Hi Oldnut, as a spectacle wearer, you will find the BST Explorer/StarGuiders from 'Sky's the Limit' most suitable, they have good eye-relief (About 15-18mm) and can be found here: http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313&_nkw=bst+explorer+starguider&_sacat=0  I would suggest 8mm, 15mm and the 25mm as a suitable spread for your needs and will work well at f/5 (your telescope is the 200P?)

thanks robin I will check them out. earl I understand that some may be suitable and some not but without trying them I wont know. would it be best to buy one eyepiece and see how I get on with it before buying others. I know that I may like one and not another but if I try one and don't like the feel or the eye relief doesnt work for me it probably wont for the set

thanks robin I will check them out. earl I understand that some may be suitable and some not but without trying them I wont know. would it be best to buy one eyepiece and see how I get on with it before buying others. I know that I may like one and not another but if I try one and don't like the feel or the eye relief doesnt work for me it probably wont for the set

If you contact Alan at scopes and skies he does some sort of deal so you can try out a variety.

Hi Oldnut, as a spectacle wearer, you will find the BST Explorer/StarGuiders from 'Sky's the Limit' most suitable, they have good eye-relief (About 15-18mm) and can be found here: http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313&_nkw=bst+explorer+starguider&_sacat=0  I would suggest 8mm, 15mm and the 25mm as a suitable spread for your needs and will work well at f/5 (your telescope is the 200P?)

Very sensible advise

off at a tangent now, just been looking at the baader hyperion 8-24 zoom. for the price it would cover having a set of 3 and a bit. lot less kit to house plus no swapping of eyepieces. going to check out reviews then decide. 1 or many....1 or many....

The BST are very good and have enough eye relief for glasses.

You may need a good grip to get the eye cup to rotate up the first time, sometimes they stick.

My single minor concern is 3 eyepieces. Unless you are not interested in getting a bit of magnification when possible then 3 BST's will do. If there are nights when you want/could go for more then you need 4.

If 3 then the 8mm, (15mm or 18mm) and the 25mm. I would tend to suggest the 15mm over the 18mm.

If you wanted the occasional ability to go higher then you would need the 5mm at some time. However it will not be an eyepiece that you would use easily all the time, just occasionally when conditions permit.

Or do as I did and get the whole damn lot. :grin: :grin: :grin:

I you find them good then get the ones you need then you add one in every so often.  :eek:  :eek: 

I think the very least any of us need is an 8,15,25-32mm  EP collection. That gives a high,medium and low set. It will cover just about anything you care to observe. I wear glasses, but not while observing (maybe i should).  I cant count the number of times that BST eyepieces are mentioned on SGL. Using the 8,15,30mm set, there is no need to even own a 2x barlow. 

If i knew then what i know now about ep's, my collection would be much smaller and i'd probably only have bought my Hyperion 8-24mm zoom. However, i do LOVE my Vixen NPL's. I have them in the 8,15,30mm and i also have a 25mm NLV. Most people cant get along with the eye relief of the NPL's and they really wouldnt suit a person who wears glasses for observing, but i get along just fine with them.

The only problem with the Hyperion zoom is the Field of view - 50 degrees for an eyepiece that price is pretty poor. I would suggest getting to a star party or something and trying some eyepieces and see what works for you. Eyepieces are  definitely  a product where price does relate directly to quality (up to a point). 

The only problem with the Hyperion zoom is the Field of view - 50 degrees for an eyepiece that price is pretty poor. I would suggest getting to a star party or something and trying some eyepieces and see what works for you. Eyepieces are  definitely  a product where price does relate directly to quality (up to a point). 

All of my EP's are 1.25" and offer 50 degrees, so i'm used to that. I bought it for one reason alone...........its a one stop shop for a whole collection of EP's and being in a wheelchair it is easier to take the zoom out with me rather then the EP case i have containing all my others. Zooms are not for everyone, but it works for me and thats what counts to me.

Archived