NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Switching from Dob mount to GEM

For now this is a hypothetical question. Is it advisable to transfer a 200mm skywatcher dob onto a GEM, and if so, which mount ? Also, would I have to remove the mounting bosses from the tube before fitting the tube rings ?

Basically I have a degenerative back problem and sooner or later bending down a lot is going to be somewhat problematic. I love my 8" dob, it has shown me great things and I really don't see me developing a taste for AP. Would mounting the Dob tube on a GEM be the best option ?

Thanks in advance.

Ally

Not really, the eyepiece of a Newt can end up in some very strange places when mounted on a GEM. The best solution is to have tube set so it can rotate in the tube rings but even so, there will still be a large range of elevation to deal with. I would think an A-Z mounted scope would be better, either a fork-mounted SCT or a refractor on an up-swing mount. You have to use a diagonal but at least movement of the eyepiece postion is fairly limited.

ChrisH

I agree with Chris that an EQ mount is likely to cause more problems for you than it solves. Alternative options could include i) raising the dob mount by putting it on a firm platform of some sort or ii) mounting the scope tube on an alt-azimuth mount such as the Skytee II which, with a counter weight, will cope with the tube and will be on an adjustable height tripod so the eyepiece can be at a height that suits you better. I've posted a photo below of my old 10" scope on a broadly similar mounting arrangement. You would need some tube rings and a dovetail bar to do this but the mounting bosses could probably stay in place.

post-118-0-70398500-1410053803_thumb.jpg

Archived