NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

August 31, 2014: 31 Pane mosaic in H-alpha with LS35

Just made another big mosaic, showing the big filament crossing the disk. Images taken with DMK21+TV Powermate 2.5x and LS35THa with B1200 blocking filter. I used FireCapture for acquisition, Registax and ImageJ for processing of the flats,  AS!2 for stacking (240 out of 500 frames per image), Registax for wavelets, AutoStitch64 for stitching the mosaic together, Fitswork4 for sharpening by deconvolution, and finally GIMP for colour. I tried an inverted one for good measure. Quite pleased with the result.

post-5655-0-02941100-1409512178_thumb.jppost-5655-0-90606800-1409512189_thumb.jp

I will post links to full-res later

Outstanding work Michael, really like the inverted image, it shows off the filaments. 

I think the inverted images look so good as we naturally think that clouds floating above the surface should look light in colour, not dark, after all on earth, the light source comes from the sky, not the earth.  It is of course opposite on the sun, but I think our brains prefer a dark surface and light sky?

Robin

That's really great history, Michael. I'm still trying to figure out what's going on and why.

However, not sure if your pics help me or just add to my confusion. :-)

(Can't get the fancy emoticons to show confusion, flabbergastedness, flummoxed on my iPad!)

That's really great history, Michael. I'm still trying to figure out what's going on and why.

However, not sure if your pics help me or just add to my confusion. :-)

(Can't get the fancy emoticons to show confusion, flabbergastedness, flummoxed on my iPad!)

I could insert :icon_confused: or :icon_scratch: if you like :D

Archived