Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Vixen NPL 30mm vs Skywatcher SP Plossl 32mm

Hi DKG. The Skywatcher is essentially the GSO 32mm EP. Absolutely brilliant EP. It has many fans (including myself). The Vixen NPL's are also brilliant. I have the 30mm NPL which i bought to replace my GSO 32mm when i broke it. I have to say that my personal choice would be the 32mm (under any name). 

I'm not sure i'd use either to view DSO's, but i'd certainly use either to scan the sky for larger DSO's and then zoom in using a higher powered EP.

The main differences would be:

1/ NPL offers better contrast between objects and the night sky

2/ NPL would be sharper across the FOV

Cons of the 32mm:

1/ It actually has too much eye relief and sometimes you will find that at certain angles, you will be staring into a black void of nothingness. 

Having said all that, and it seems like the 30mm NPL would be the better choice...........and probably is. I just love the 32mm.

The Vixen NPL has better quality coatings than the Skywatcher 32mm plossl and it's twist up and down top and soft eye cup means finding and maintaining the correct eye position is convenient. These are not large differences though and outright performance is quite close. Personally I prefer the ergonomics of the Vixen NPL and I've always had a soft spot for Vixen products.

I don't believe the Skywatcher plossls are made by GSO as Sjynta (who own Skywatcher) has a large manufacturing capacity of it's own but the design is basically the same.

The Vixen NPL has better quality coatings than the Skywatcher 32mm plossl and it's twist up and down top and soft eye cup means finding and maintaining the correct eye position is convenient. 

Yes, that does take away from the eye relief issue i mentioned with the 32mm "gso". I'm a fully twisted down kind of guy with any of my Vixens. I do love Vixen products and cant sing their praise enough.

There is just something about the 32mm.

I got my 32mm in an EP kit and fell in love with it. Then i started to buy NPL's and loved them to bits (the reviews were very good and they were in my price range). When my 32mm broke, i actively sought out a Vixen to replace it and i got one second hand from a fellow SGL member, so hand on heart......................

Go with the Vixen 30mm NPL.

Sorry to have done a run around but i think its good to get opinions from all angles and arrive at something which is close to the truth by people who use either or both. I'm not technically minded about these things. I am just an observer who knows what he likes and what works for me. 

John knows what he is talking about because he is the resident EP tester for FLO (LEAST THAT WHAT HE SEEMS TO ME TO BE).

John knows what he is talking about because he is the resident EP tester for FLO (LEAST THAT WHAT HE SEEMS TO ME TO BE).

Quite so, I make a point of reading John's reviews even when he's talking about EPs that are out of my price range. Always interesting and informative.

Thanks for your confidence Paul and Alan but I'd better make this clear to avoid any confusion:

- First Light Optics (FLO) do provide eyepieces on loan for me to review and report on to the forum.

- I have no financial or other links with FLO. All loaned equipment is returned to FLO once I've finished reporting on it.

- My reports sometimes include my own eyepieces which were mostly purchased from the used market and have included eyepieces loaned by other suppliers as well.

- FLO have no influence on what I report and I do not run what I'm going to post past them before posting it.

- FLO make equipment available to other SGL members to review on the forum as well as myself.

I'm sure the above points won't surprise people but I thought I'd better pop them down anyway for the avoidance of doubt  :smiley:  

Thanks for your confidence Paul and Alan but I'd better make this clear to avoid any confusion:

- First Light Optics (FLO) do provide eyepieces on loan for me to review and report on to the forum.

- I have no financial or other links with FLO. All loaned equipment is returned to FLO once I've finished reporting on it.

- My reports sometimes include my own eyepieces which were mostly purchased from the used market and have included eyepieces loaned by other suppliers as well.

- FLO have no influence on what I report and I do not run what I'm going to post past them before posting it.

- FLO make equipment available to other SGL members to review on the forum as well as myself.

I'm sure the above points won't surprise people but I thought I'd better pop them down anyway for the avoidance of doubt  :smiley:  

I figured as much John. You are an independent reviewer of products that FLO sell (as do most companies). You are no way financially connected to FLO or otherwise. Sorry if my post implied this. 

I know from some of your posts that you have clearly stated that you have been given EP's on loan from FLO to test/review/return. Thats all i meant. I really only meant that you have had the privilege of testing many EP's, so you really can and do speak with authority.

I figured as much John. You are an independent reviewer of products that FLO sell (as do most companies). You are no way financially connected to FLO or otherwise. Sorry if my post implied this. 

I know from some of your posts that you have clearly stated that you have been given EP's on loan from FLO to test/review/return. Thats all i meant. I really only meant that you have had the privilege of testing many EP's, so you really can and do speak with authority.

No problem at all Paul and no implications taken - it just gave me a useful prompt to make things clear :smiley:

John, like yourself i do love my Vixen EP's. I have an 8,15,25,30 (all 1.25 format). I also have a Baader 8-24mm MkIII zoom. I use the zoom pretty much exclusively now on my 8SE.

My Vixens dont get much use since i bought the zoom. 

Here's he questio;:

Do you think that this would be a good investment so i can use my Vixens. Its essentially a zoom but with fixed focal length EP's. Would it fit my 8SE?

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/vixen-eyepieces/baader-q-turret.html

I think from the images that i can fit a filter of any kind on the bottom (OIII,UHC,LPF).?

Hi DKG. The Skywatcher is essentially the GSO 32mm EP. Absolutely brilliant EP. It has many fans (including myself). The Vixen NPL's are also brilliant. I have the 30mm NPL which i bought to replace my GSO 32mm when i broke it. I have to say that my personal choice would be the 32mm (under any name). 

I'm not sure i'd use either to view DSO's, but i'd certainly use either to scan the sky for larger DSO's and then zoom in using a higher powered EP.

The main differences would be:

1/ NPL offers better contrast between objects and the night sky

2/ NPL would be sharper across the FOV

Cons of the 32mm:

1/ It actually has too much eye relief and sometimes you will find that at certain angles, you will be staring into a black void of nothingness. 

Having said all that, and it seems like the 30mm NPL would be the better choice...........and probably is. I just love the 32mm.

Its possible the glass elements could come from the same factory, but the build is quite different, i really need to get a new GSO/Revelation 32mm, i have the photo version and its a compromise ep 

Have just ordered the Vixen 30mm NPL as a 'searcher' and wise field viewer (seven sisters etc) as I upgraded my scope and realised my eyepieces are now much more powerful.

I Already own the 6mm and 20mm NPLs and think they are excellent, with a TAL 2x Barlow I now have magnifications of 33x, 50x, 67x, 100x, 167x, 333x.

Despite the 333 being a little optimistic :) I think I should now have everything covered for less than £150 worth of EP's, can't complain at that really.

That's a pretty good range of magnifications to have. For the future, something around 220x would be a useful addition. On the right night you may find 333x works well on the Moon and close double stars.

Archived