Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Telrad on an ED80

Blimey, I wasn't expecting a Telrad to be as big as it is! Seems like it's half empty space anyway. It's so long I can't see where to fit it on my ED80; the Telrad is literally so long the telescope tube rings get in the way. Short of sawing the Telrad in half, any ideas for where to put it?

If asked, I'd always recommend a Rigel Quikfinder over a Telrad for the smaller scope tube. The functionality is very similar but the Rigel has a much smaller footprint on the scope.

the rigels are NAF! the build quality is very poor. youd be better with a decent red dot finder like the WO ones

I've owned my Rigel for 5 years - 1 battery replacement and it's been on around 6 scopes during that time with no problems whatsoever :smiley:

Nothing wrong at all with the Telrad on an 8" or larger scope but it's way OTT for a tiny ED80 tube.

The WO finders and MRF clones have reticules that are just too bright, even on their lowest setting. No such trouble with the Rigel or Telrad which are designed with astro in mind rather than shooting which is the MRF's background.

Apart from that, I agree with you 100% Dan :smiley:

• 2 weeks later...

Update: I bought a Rigel and am finding it a much better fit than the Telrad. Although the build quality isn't super-awesome, it feels sturdy enough. If anyone else with a short-tube refractor is considering a Telrad, get the Rigel instead!

I do like the Rigel, decent bit of kit and tiny footprint and weighs almost nothing. I did think it looked a bit flimsy when I got it, but then it earned my respect for working so well.

I have more recently started using a Baader Skysurfer V on one of my scopes - very nice and that does have the build quality, but I still love the Rigel as well. If a dob has balancing problems, it won't be down to the Rigel :D

+1 for a red dot finder. I have one which came with my WO Megrez frac I got second hand and it's great. I've tried a Telrad on my big scope and couldn't get used to it with my varifocal glasses. The Telrad dewed up terribly as well. I don't have quite that much problem with my RDFs. I got a new one for the Newt and I'm really pleased with it:

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/finders/baader-30mm-sky-surfer-iii.html

Alexxx

Archived