NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Anyone imaging SW200PDS ON HEQ5?

Notty

with a DSLR and guided (ST80 piggybacked)? I tried to set up my photographic rig on the big refractor, this morning but even with both counterweights on I couldn't achieve balance. I know people deep sky with these but maybe it's too big an ask for the HEQ5. It's not the end of the world; the main reason I got it was for imaging the planets ie no guiding/DSLR necessary but I was looking forward to experimenting with it vs the Venerable Evostar ED80.

(Just got in from work, lovely clear night here tonight only, and I'm too shattered to go out and image. Gutted beyond words)

Hi Notty, I am using a 200PDS on a HEQ5Pro, guided by an Opticstar AR80s, along with these are my Canon 550d and guidecam, I am at the very limits of this mounts carrying capabilities but can assure you that it works very well.
I have to use an extra weight to counterbalance the increased load.
The most important thing is to make sure that you are correctly balanced in all 3 ways to ensure smooth operation.
Feel free to ask for any more help/detail with this
Regards, Lee

There is flex to consider the shorter the bar or bars the less its going to flex if it does at all, my set-up is more  for the space a extension bar would get close to scraping the rear wall, without it i can move passed with out jarring the bar......does mean a load of weights though....

DSC_0168.jpg

Wow that is a lot of weight!!! I only need another couple of inches max I think to balance. I agree on the issue of obstruction though, I've got a 2.2m obsy so space is a bit tight.

Thanks Lee that's encouraging to hear. I've ordered one of these

https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p5646_Counterweight-Bar-Extension-for-EQ6-Mounts.html

If I can balance it without adding extra weight that's got to be a good thing right?

I actually think it would be better to add the extra weight.  Balance is balance, and the mount is certainly solid enough to handle the extra weight.  By having the shorter bar, there's less chance that things will flex while moving, and it just seems more solid.

I have the same problem as you, my 200p explorer plus 6D are just short of balance.  I'm going to add on some more weight (but not a full 5kg SW weight, I'll get something lighter).

Well the NEQ6 has them, i just assume the HEQ5 does.....

You can buy them from TS for both the HEQ5 and NEQ6. Just a word of warning , if you did use it make sure that you remove the weights before moving the mount, the clutch has to be very tight to prevent the long arm from swinging and you really do not want to be hit with 10Kg swinging around a 60cm bar.

A.G

I balance my exp200p on heq5, c/w CC, dslr, finder, telrad, dew shield, 3 dew tapes and Travelmate 70/qhy5l-ii. Standard bar with 3x weights - plenty of travel/adjustment left :-)

Not sure what the all up weight is, but cetainly pushing it for imaging. Seems to work though!

Thanks Lee that's encouraging to hear. I've ordered one of these

https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p5646_Counterweight-Bar-Extension-for-EQ6-Mounts.html

If I can balance it without adding extra weight that's got to be a good thing right?

Hi Notty,

That extension is for an EQ6 mount and not the HEQ5.

I am not sure how old your mount is but mine is 2years old and the counterweight shaft is 18mm dia and the thread is 6mm (M6)... the EQ6 has an M12 thread and I believe it is 20m dia.

It is possible that the later HEQ5's now have the larger weight bar, but I would check with the supplier before ordering.

Personally, I would just add an additional counterweight.

Best regards. :grin:

Another option -- a longer counterweight bar from astro engineering, £33 delivered:

http://www.astro-engineering.com/prod/telescope-accessories/dec-shaft-ext/heq5.html

Personally I'm going to add weight instead, but if I was going to extend I think I'd prefer a longer solid shaft rather than something joined on (especially as all the weights are likely going to be after the join!).

Hi Notty,

That extension is for an EQ6 mount and not the HEQ5.

I am not sure how old your mount is but mine is 2years old and the counterweight shaft is 18mm dia and the thread is 6mm (M6)... the EQ6 has an M12 thread and I believe it is 20m dia.

Just to confirm for anyone else thinking about getting this particular extension bar for the HEQ5 it DOES fit, ie the EQ6 thread is identical. I've just screwed it on :-)

Archived