Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

AZ3 mount head

Hi all, does anyone know if its possible to buy a AZ3 mount without the tripod legs?

I want one to hold 20x80 binoculars on my CG5 tripod. There's nothing at the moment on the classifieds or astro buy and sell.

Or if anyone has any suggestions how to mount my binos then I appreciate the advice.

The head and legs are all in the one bit in mine. :)

(Doubt others are any different!). Looks possible:

http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/language/en/info/p6999_Celestron-Heavy-Duty-Alt-Azimuth-Tripod-for-binoculars--spotting-scopes-or-telesco.html (scroll down)

Checkout illustration of 10x80 bins on (similar) Celestron mount.

(You should be able to locate / obtain the requisite adapter?) ;)

Another possibility: The "Giro" type mounts. Or those fiendish

-looking, binocular-specific "parallelogram frame" constructs. :p

http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/index.php/cat/c21_Mounts-----Alt-Azimuth.html (For various examples)

The tripod head is an integral part of the mount design, certainly.  The clutch mechanism for the az motion locks against a flange on the tripod head.  I don't think the mount itself would be a drop-in fit on a tripod head designed for one of the Celestron/Skywatcher EQ mounts.

James

I have the az3 and eq3 and a Skytee2. I attempted to fit the legs of each to the az3 but the connection plate is very different, I dont think its possible. It may be possible to take the legs off each at the bolts connecting to the plate but if I remember correctly they also were a little short in width!

Hmmmm, so it seems that what I'm trying to achieve is not possible. Very frustrating because I have a CG5 tripod which is gathering dust and so it would be ideal to use with an alt az mount for my bins. Looks like the only option is to just source a completely new tripod and mount............

Archived