Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Where can I find more info on this faint fuzzy?

RobertI

Hi all,

As a bit of fun last night I pointed the C8+Lodestar+LodestarLive into a random area of dark sky in Draco to see what I might stumble upon. Was really surprised to see the following smudge in the field of view:

post-17401-0-38132000-1408912529.png

I popped it into Astrometry.net which did not identify the object but did provide coordinates.  So I put the coordiantes into Wikisky.org and found the object to be the galaxy PGC 2680445.

There seemed to be very little information about this object apart from a fuzzy picture from the DSS2 All Sky Survey. No information about magnitude. Can anyone tell me where I might get more information about this object?

Thanks

Rob

Hi all,

As a bit of fun last night I pointed the C8+Lodestar+LodestarLive into a random area of dark sky in Draco to see what I might stumble upon. Was really surprised to see the following smudge in the field of view:

attachicon.gif60.secs.median.stacked_2014.8.24_00.28.21.png

I popped it into Astrometry.net which did not identify the object but did provide coordinates.  So I put the coordiantes into Wikisky.org and found the object to be the galaxy PGC 2680445.

There seemed to be very little information about this object apart from a fuzzy picture from the DSS2 All Sky Survey. No information about magnitude. Can anyone tell me where I might get more information about this object?

Thanks

Rob

Hello Robert,

Just had a look in Sky Safari and got the following:

Spiral Galaxy in Draco

Visual Magnitude +15.92

Apparent Size 0.6 x 0.4

Not the brightest object so well done :)

Best regards

Karl

Hi Rob,

Yes I have the Pro and Mag 15.92 is very impressive indeed!  I was was looking for NGC 5 recently at Mag 13.30 and that was tough enough!  That said, I'm going to try this little beast next just to see if I can :)

Regards

Karl

Hi Rob

Another good (and free) option for identifying faint stuff once you know the field is Aladin (using the Simbad database) from CDS. This gives tons of info on objects.   

Martin 

Just had an initial play with Aladin - looks like a great tool, pretty feature rich so I'll have to spend some time seeing what it can do - thanks for the heads up.

Archived