Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Used HEQ5 :)

MeSeany

Hi,

I want to start deep space photography and think the Cannon 1100D plus HEQ5 would be a good start (Ill be adding the ED80 and guide scope later).

Does anyone know where I can lay my hands on either a used HEQ5?

Also - Ive heard you can buy old lenses plus an adaptor for the Cannon 1100D - what is the best focal length to buy for deep space?

Also - Ive heard you can buy old lenses plus an adaptor for the Cannon 1100D - what is the best focal length to buy for deep space?

Yes, you can get M42 adaptors (for lenses with a 42mm screw thread) for Canon bodies for a few quid - it's best to get one which advertises 'infinity focus' as some are too thick to reach infinity with some lenses.

As for the best focal length, that depends on the target. I suggest having a browse of the widefield imaging forum, that will give you a better idea of what people are getting at different focal lengths. The performance of M42 lenses will vary quite widely, some will need to be stopped down quite a bit to avoid coma at the edges but there are some good ones out there.

As already mentioned some good M42 lenses out there but not as cheap as they once where, as for focal length between 18mm and 50mm for the widefield whole constellation stuff and 135 to 200mm for some of the larger galaxys/ nebula.

The 18-55 kit lens does a good job the IS version is slightly better and of course the old fav the nifty fifty.

Lenses greater than 300mm FL can be used but you then start to get into telescope territory.

Alan

Archived