NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Should I complain!?

Hi All, I have just purchased a Atik 383 on ebay (first saw the listing on astro buy & sell) I have been looking all year and so didn't hesitate as the listing looked like a spotless camera even if the price was possibly a little high.

First picture and there is a vertical white column, should I be concerned or just work round it with processing?

I just feel the sale was not 100% correct as this was not mentioned and it stated everything was perfect.

I will attach photos of sale and my results.

http://stargazerslounge.com/gallery/image/23681-m14-column/

Excuse my upload ignorance, I have added all images to my gallery on here on above link as don't know what I am doing!

Any thoughts or advice greatly received, I'm rushing to type this as I am now late for work!!

Thanks

I'd demand to return that. Yes, it will calibrate out but the resale value of the camera is going to be reduced with a sensor defect.

Go straight to "open a case" on eBay as all messages will then be recorded should you need eBay to rule on the matter.

As has been said, the defect will calibrate out quite easily.

Note the word " Defect " because that's the way some people will see it and the very reason you've brought the subject up.

I think you've been exceedingly unlucky that the CCD has developed this defect since the seller made the Bias frame !

As Wuthon says, the resale value may be effected even if the images aren't.

Dave.

Yes this is how I'm looking at it at the moment as I paid £1100 for a "spotless" camera which turns out to have a couple of column defects. If I knew before I would of rather paid the bit extra for a new one.

Is it possible this can happen in transit? The couriers are not always too careful and the packaging was minimal.

If it was not stated in the eBay auction that the camera had that particular issue like that i would open a case and get a refund using the "Not as described" in choices. eBay sides with the buyer 99.9% of the time.

Ebay is THE dumping ground for defective/faulty items, some sellers see it as something of an anonymous way of passing on such goods. "Oh, just chuck it on Ebay" is the terminology. Whilst the majority are honest and reputable it also attracts that other minority (both buyers and sellers) and peronally I would not buy such a high value item via ebay.

ChrisH

Ebay is THE dumping ground for defective/faulty items, some sellers see it as something of an anonymous way of passing on such goods. "Oh, just chuck it on Ebay" is the terminology. Whilst the majority are honest and reputable it also attracts that other minority (both buyers and sellers) and peronally I would not buy such a high value item via ebay.

ChrisH

I'm not sure I totally agree, eBay is much better these days. Their buyer protection (as stated above) firmly puts the onus of proof on the seller in any dispute and eBay pay compensation to the buyer if it is not resolved.

You don't get that at ABS.

I bought a very expensive Nikon lens that I never received but the seller claimed they had sent. The seller had no proof of delivery, eBay refunded the full amount within a fortnight of me opening a case.

It'd be worth checking if the seller is registered as a business on eBay. If they are you have the right return the camera within 14 days of receipt. This can be for any reason (even just changed your mind) under distance selling regulations.

Thought I'd had the best option by seeing it on abs and then buying on ebay but maybe not! I'll contact the seller and hopefully get it sorted, thanks everyone it helps to get your knowledge and opinions.

Think about what the camera is worth with the defect as a partial refund may be a good result.

WHY? Because that way you get some money back (say £250 - I have no Idea about this by the way) and a camera which according to the above posts can still be used perfectly well.

You suggested it took you over a year to find the camera so keeping it with a discount could be a good result.

Archived