Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Baader continuum filter

spaceboy

Hi Nick

I agree with all you say and also use the bsc and the pol filter with the wedge. The views are simply stunning especially with the 120 which it pains me to say has ousted my Vixen 80mm f11 as a dedicated solar scope.

I also found the problem with film and the bsc was that I often saw my own eye unless placement was just right. No such issues with the wedge.

The green in Stu's pic is as I see it albeit toned down with the pol filter and with masses more sharpness and detail.

Glad you felt it is a good buy.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do lunt wedges have fixed ND filters?

It just occured to me that Baader recommend fitting the solar continuum filter below the ND filter in their wedges, which I think is to reduce reflections between the two as the SC has a mirror like finish, I wonder if this is a factor in the sometimes perceived superiority of the Baader herschel wedge.

James 

It's great in a 120 isn't it Shane? Haven't had much time with mine but the views are lovely. In the 85 I just use the SC filter but expect that it will help tone things down in the 120.

That green is a little vivid, just the camera exposure I guess, and of course it is a very poor representation of the actual detail visible visually

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It just occured to me that Baader recommend fitting the solar continuum filter below the ND filter in their wedges, which I think is to reduce reflections between the two as the SC has a mirror like finish, I wonder if this is a factor in the sometimes perceived superiority of the Baader herschel wedge.

James

James, the Lunt wedge has an ND3.0 filter fitted in the base of the eyepiece holder. I've always assumed that the SC must come after this in the optical path as it needs the further reduction in hear and brightness?

Hi Nick

I agree with all you say and also use the bsc and the pol filter with the wedge. The views are simply stunning especially with the 120 which it pains me to say has ousted my Vixen 80mm f11 as a dedicated solar scope.

I also found the problem with film and the bsc was that I often saw my own eye unless placement was just right. No such issues with the wedge.

The green in Stu's pic is as I see it albeit toned down with the pol filter and with masses more sharpness and detail.

Glad you felt it is a good buy.

Now that does surprise me Shane. The image seems to be more settled for me in the 102 over the 80mm (not sure why?) but I find the 102 really fussy with placement due to the faster f/5 optics and subsequent softer edges. I have been considering giving my slower 90mm f/10 a go as I'd always used this with solar film and it is still fairly manageable on the AZ3 . At some point if the skies stay clear long enough I'm going to give my AR127L a go with the wedge as I think with the longer focal length and aperture it should offer amazing views. The AR127 is quite a beast though at 8kg so it's no dash out between the clouds scope :rolleyes:

James

mine is not fixed and needs fitting each time. I actually prefer it now after initial concerns, partly as I use it on the moon without the nd3 which reduces glare, apparent ca and increases contrast in my 120 f5. Also works well on Venus apparently.

I always take the energy out with the nd3.0 at the wedge side, then bsc then pol filter at the eyepiece end. No issues at all.

It's great in a 120 isn't it Shane? Haven't had much time with mine but the views are lovely. In the 85 I just use the SC filter but expect that it will help tone things down in the 120.

That green is a little vivid, just the camera exposure I guess, and of course it is a very poor representation of the actual detail visible visually

indeed Stu. I have been really impressed with the 120. Maybe I dropped lucky. The aperture makes a surprising difference and I have changed my view on this recently.

Now that does surprise me Shane. The image seems to be more settled for me in the 102 over the 80mm (not sure why?) but I find the 102 really fussy with placement due to the faster f/5 optics and subsequent softer edges. I have been considering giving my slower 90mm f/10 a go as I'd always used this with solar film and it is still fairly manageable on the AZ3 . At some point if the skies stay clear long enough I'm going to give my AR127L a go with the wedge as I think with the longer focal length and aperture it should offer amazing views. The AR127 is quite a beast though at 8kg so it's no dash out between the clouds scope :rolleyes:

what do you mean by placement Nick? Eye placement? I would have thought it easier in a faster scope as the exit pupil is bigger?

A good focuser helps - I have fitted a TS Monorail. Net cost (used) 85 after sellling the old focuser and the rdf that came with the scope

I place my Baader Continuum-Filter in the nose of my diagonal in my ST80. The added distance helps cut the reflections, or so I've found. And I've never been a fan of Baader Solar-Foil. I've mostly used the glass ones. But Orion, in the US, has this on the market:

http://www.telescope.com/Accessories/Telescope-Eyepiece-Filters/Orion-E-Series-Safety-Film-Solar-Filters/pc/-1/c/3/sc/48/e/83.uts

I'm looking forward to using mine. Ever since it arrived, it's been overcast and occasionally pouring rain. Of course! But I'll write up my observations once my Ark has landed on a mountain in Turkey.....

Clear <koff!> Skies,

Dave

what do you mean by placement Nick? Eye placement? I would have thought it easier in a faster scope as the exit pupil is bigger?

A good focuser helps - I have fitted a TS Monorail. Net cost (used) 85 after sellling the old focuser and the rdf that came with the scope

Sorry Shane, after years and thousands of posts I still manage not to convey what I mean in to short text :confused1:

Placement of the sun in the FOV I meant. I have found that the 102 f/5 edges to suffer in a similar was as fast newts only I think aberration is edge distortion......

post-8355-0-10830600-1416046159_thumb.jp

Distortion was most obvious using the 15mm TV plossl with the wider 50° than it is using my ortho at 40°. In the ortho the sharpness towards the edge softens but due to the smaller FOV in the ortho I pretty much have to keep the sun centred to see the whole disk sharp. Had the scope not performed way beyond my expectations on the moon I would have worried I'd got myself one of the poorer examples but even with the 30mm Aero in the edges are not terrible. I have checked the collimation and it is very slightly out but with out a collimateable cell and minimal adjustment in the focuser there isn't a big enough error that I want to start messing with the alternative methods.

This is why I was surprised you found the ST120 better than your much slower Vixen. I know you prefer newts and so are more accustomed to edges being less than ideal but I would have thought even despite the lack of aperture over the 120 that the Vixen with sharper better corrected views would have at least give the 120 a run for it's money ?? I only went with shorter fl refractors to minimise any internal effects of being sat in the sun.

Obviously if anyone considers there may be more to it than normal aberrations associated with a fast lens then please let me know as I will have some warranty to get the issue sorted.

In all fairness I have not checked properly for any edge distortion as I have been too impressed by with the quality of disk detail to check what is going on at the edges. I have been using a 15mm and 11mm tvp with the 6-3mm zoom even on occasion. Next time out I will pay more attention to the edges but if the price for far greater disk detail is loss of edge detail I will take it at this price! :0)

hi Nick

Just managed to focus on the sun for about 10 seconds and yes, mine shows the same pincushion type distortion on the edge of field. It does not worm me at all to be honest but is there. I think you could correct this with a field flattener but there's no point as far as I am concerned and it might not be possible of course with the wedge.

Thanks mate. I guess I'm so used to looking for aberrations when deciding what eyepieces I do or do not want that it's almost become habit to look for them now instead of just concentrating on the views.

Sounds like you have had a result with the ST120 for solar. I always regretted letting my first Evo 120 go as I think that was one of the better examples :(

Archived