Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

DSS Drizzle not working.

HighHo

Just wondered if anyone else had issues using the x2/x3 drizzle on DSS, if used the stack fails. Tried just using .jpeg images instead of raw but same issue, as soon as I disable the images will stack.

Just wondered if anyone else had issues using the x2/x3 drizzle on DSS, if used the stack fails. Tried just using .jpeg images instead of raw but same issue, as soon as I disable the images will stack.

Hi I've never tried it I'm afraid but I believe it requires a lot of lights. At the same time it needs 4 or 9 times the memory and space so that could be an issue?

Many thanks forthe responce. I suspect light might be the issue if required, as its been mostly been scenes of pin point stars I have tried it with as have just been experimening. HDD space is 500GB+ free so assume thats fine, RAM maybe limited these days at 4GB but I would assume still should be ok (at least 2.5GB free before attempting to process and plenty of page).

if you select an area of interest before starting the operation you will find that the out of memory error wont happen .it's a 32 bit app and 3.5 gig ram wont cut it for full frames there is no 64 bit version to try.

if you select an area of interest before starting the operation you will find that the out of memory error wont happen .it's a 32 bit app and 3.5 gig ram wont cut it for full frames there is no 64 bit version to try.

Ahh forgot about that! They say "Until DSS becomes a 64 bit application you won't be able to drizzle stack entire, large images. You may have to experiment to find the limit of your particular system."

http://deepskystacker.wikispaces.com/64+bit+version%3F

Thanks to both of you, I will try a smaller image/selection and see if that works. Hopefully we will see DSS become a 64bit app in future to take full use of physical memory :) (an upgrade of RAM regardless of the app is certianlly planned to 16 or 32GB)

On a side note as Thalestris mentioned you will need plenty of dithered and well calibrated subs to make drizzle worthwhile. I find with my Atik that 15 is about minimum to get SNR back under control, I've never drizzled DSLR subs but I would have thought a few more than this would be required.

Odd, I've never had issues with Drizzle 2x on DSS. My images with the ATIK 383L+ were always 16.2MB each at 1x1, 3362 x 2504. I've stacked up to 20 light frames into a Drizzled 2x result of 6724 x 5008 (at 1x1). My desktop PC is pretty powerful and has 16GB RAM on Windows 7 64-bit but it's true that DSS is a 32-bit program. 

Hi

I guess 4 x 16.2 x 20 -> about 1.3 Gb which is within the 2Gb space normally allowed by a 32bit process. Apparently, the available memory can be extended to 4Gb if the app is made 'large address aware' - there was a previous post on this by 'rwg': http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/207891-deep-sky-stacker-out-of-memory/

Louise

• 2 weeks later...

In the Stacking Parameter, clicking "Reduce worker threads priority" could help. I read that it doesn't try and force full utilisation at once and spreads it out, so errors might not occur.

Archived